Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fair resale value?  (Read 775 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Fair resale value?
« on: September 15, 2020, 01:03:54 AM »

I have found someone with a six year old Daniel Boone for sale. His price has dropped to the point where it might be worth considering. Hoping someone can answer a couple of questions for me.

Are there any design flaws from around six years ago that might present a problem?

The grill has been stored inside and looks to be in good working order. Is there any way to figure out how much a grill depreciates from year to year? I would like be able to make a reasonable offer at a price that is fair without lowballing. I have a price in mind, but nothing to base it on.

What is the difference between DB choice and prime?

Thanks!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Fair resale value?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 05:53:37 AM »

I can only comment on pricing. To start, a "good" used grill, that is all parts present, everything functions as it should, structurally sound-think rust, parts still available, the general overall look would indicate

how it was cared for, etc; @ best the price should be no more than 1/2 of pre tax retail of the pit.

Just like an automobile the price deprecates with age. Even though an auto is in top shape with low miles, time takes its toll on value unless it's something special..The same goes for pits.

The new ones may have more and better feature and a warranty. As long as what you are looking at meets all your needs you might consider it. My guess would be in the range of 1/4 the original pre tax price.

Just remembered ; Some of the GMG had augers that warped or jammed up.. Just make sure. Give it a good test .

As is said, "good luck with that".

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:16:18 PM by Canadian John »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:28:54 AM »

+1 on Canadian John's comments above.  I might be tempted to go slightly more than ¼ the original price.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »

Things I have sold in the past on Craigslist were about 50-55% of what I paid for the item.
Usually not that old.
Probably could have gotten more, but then I wanted to get it out of garage.
My prices were all listed as FIRM and sold quickly.

If he's dropping the price, it is probably too high.
You can offer a lowball price, all he can do is say no, and most likely he will come down if he hasn't had anybody looking at it.
Just my  :2cents:
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 05:09:07 PM »

Tough crowd...What is he asking for it?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »

Tough crowd...What is he asking for it?

He was origionally asking $375, he is down to $300. I was thinking around $250 would be in the ballpark, but I don't have anything to base it on. I am not sure what they sold for new. This does not have wifi, but it does have the remote wireless thermometer. I don't know what he paid for it or if he will come down any further.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 05:40:15 PM »

250.00 would be an ok price for non wifi.  The best thing to do would be to go on youtube and they compare the choice to the prime.  The food will taste the same  on whatever grill you get.
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »

It's close..  Why not split the difference? Just make sure everything works.

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »

Mine is a 2014.  My original controller has been replaced and the burn pot covers of the original style with wings have been changed out.  I never found the old style that bad personally, but I was having a sooting issue, and as part of the whole fix, GMG sent the controller with the burn pot covers.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 06:07:27 PM »

If memory serves me right, a 2014 Black DB without wifi with tax was about $650.  If it is in good shape, $300 is not unreasonable.  Specially if you want to throw the guy a bone!

$250  would be in the ballpark, but I don't have anything to base it on. I am not sure what they sold for new.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

ICIdaho

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 12:02:36 PM »

If memory serves me right, a 2014 Black DB without wifi with tax was about $650.  If it is in good shape, $300 is not unreasonable.  Specially if you want to throw the guy a bone!

$250  would be in the ballpark, but I don't have anything to base it on. I am not sure what they sold for new.

Correct.  I bought mine in 2015 on a close out Fathers day sale for 500.  It was marked down 50 dollars from the local carrier and another 100 dollars by the manufacturer.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 11:03:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I texted him an offer, but have not heard back, so it may have sold. If it did, that's good too. Someone got a nice grill!

Clonesmoker

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 09:41:07 AM »

I got a deal on mine. New Non-WiFi DB for $350. In 2015 it was a year end special as they were really wanting to move it. It had really bad side to side temps. GMG sent me a Wifi controller. About a year later same issue and they sent me upgraded heat shield along with another Wifi unit of which I have yet to install along with a wiring harness for the fan and a thermocoupler. Don't get me wrong with all the issues I had, as I love my DB and the customer service GMG provide at no cost to me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up