Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ICIdaho on 27 Sep 2017
  • Well, after close to 3 years with my Daniel Boone, I figured out why they call it open flame technology.  I was cooking some T-Bones and had it cranked up to 480 with the grates in the open position and my old fire shield with no deflectors on.  I had scraped down the drip tray prior to starting, but the dropping grease and the residual left on the tray ignited.  Fortunately I was close by and was able to save the beef, but the interior on the chimney side that ignited did not fare as well.  I now have bubbling powder coat and bare metal on that side.  I might consider getting those grill grates now or go back to the propane for the high/hot cooks.
  • #2 by triplebq on 27 Sep 2017
  • Glad you were near the unit.
  • #3 by riverrat49 on 27 Sep 2017
  • I've had success with grill grates on the GMG as low as 325*, normally run it about 350*

Well, after close to 3 years with my Daniel Boone, I figured out why they call it open flame technology.  I was cooking some T-Bones and had it cranked up to 480 with the grates in the open position and my old fire shield with no deflectors on.  I had scraped down the drip tray prior to starting, but the dropping grease and the residual left on the tray ignited.  Fortunately I was close by and was able to save the beef, but the interior on the chimney side that ignited did not fare as well.  I now have bubbling powder coat and bare metal on that side.  I might consider getting those grill grates now or go back to the propane for the high/hot cooks.
  • #4 by Brushpopper on 27 Sep 2017
  • Well, after close to 3 years with my Daniel Boone, I figured out why they call it open flame technology.  I was cooking some T-Bones and had it cranked up to 480 with the grates in the open position and my old fire shield with no deflectors on.  I had scraped down the drip tray prior to starting, but the dropping grease and the residual left on the tray ignited.  Fortunately I was close by and was able to save the beef, but the interior on the chimney side that ignited did not fare as well.  I now have bubbling powder coat and bare metal on that side.  I might consider getting those grill grates now or go back to the propane for the high/hot cooks.

I was thinking of trying that.  Glad you were able to save it.  Grill grates are sounding good now,  Hope you can get your paint fixed.
  • #5 by ICIdaho on 27 Sep 2017
  • I've had success with grill grates on the GMG as low as 325*, normally run it about 350*

Well, after close to 3 years with my Daniel Boone, I figured out why they call it open flame technology.  I was cooking some T-Bones and had it cranked up to 480 with the grates in the open position and my old fire shield with no deflectors on.  I had scraped down the drip tray prior to starting, but the dropping grease and the residual left on the tray ignited.  Fortunately I was close by and was able to save the beef, but the interior on the chimney side that ignited did not fare as well.  I now have bubbling powder coat and bare metal on that side.  I might consider getting those grill grates now or go back to the propane for the high/hot cooks.

Is that enough to produce a steak with some caramelizing?  I don't need char, but I do like it to look like it has been bbq and not baked.
  • #6 by riverrat49 on 27 Sep 2017
  • That's the nice thing about grill grates they have a flat side if you just want Caramelization without the grill marks, i'll check to see if I have those pics I posted on the other site a very long time ago and post it for ya

• #7 by Quadman750 on 27 Sep 2017
  • I've made the mistake of a high heat cook without cleaning or burning off. I now have two pellet grills, one for low & slow, one for high heat.
  • #8 by ICIdaho on 27 Sep 2017
  • I've made the mistake of a high heat cook without cleaning or burning off. I now have two pellet grills, one for low & slow, one for high heat.

I am certain I would have a hard time explaining away a second grill if it showed up to use only as a high heat cooker, but I might have to try it.... I was surprised by the fire as I had just scraped it down prior to start up, but I did not clean around the edges or the grease channel that drains to the bucket, maybe that is what gave it enough to go.
  • #9 by DB on 27 Sep 2017
  • I am liking my GrilGrates on a old beater gas grill. I can fix lunch in a flash while my smoker is fixing diner.
  • #10 by Yelnoc on 27 Sep 2017

Since I doubted the GrillGrate claims I did a pretty extensive test using Thermoworks Smoke and a infrared laser thermometer to see if I could get close to the claimed temperature increases.  First let's say that most of the advantages of GG don't really come into play with a pellet grill, as normally we (usually) don't have a problem with flare ups, etc.   I have had a grease fires in my Traeger and Louisiana grills, but in all cases it was my fault.  That being said and without going into detail, my results on a virtually new GMG Daniel Boone were that at set temperatures of 150-350* GG did not increase the temperature directly above the GG or on the surface of the GG.  Interestingly enough I found that the temperature on the surface of the GG and directly above the grate using the air probe of the Smoke were essentially the same.  When I cranked the GMG DB up to max, I did get a 75* increase.   
    • Yelnoc
  • #11 by ICIdaho on 28 Sep 2017

Since I doubted the GrillGrate claims I did a pretty extensive test using Thermoworks Smoke and a infrared laser thermometer to see if I could get close to the claimed temperature increases.  First let's say that most of the advantages of GG don't really come into play with a pellet grill, as normally we (usually) don't have a problem with flare ups, etc.   I have had a grease fires in my Traeger and Louisiana grills, but in all cases it was my fault.  That being said and without going into detail, my results on a virtually new GMG Daniel Boone were that at set temperatures of 150-350* GG did not increase the temperature directly above the GG or on the surface of the GG.  Interestingly enough I found that the temperature on the surface of the GG and directly above the grate using the air probe of the Smoke were essentially the same.  When I cranked the GMG DB up to max, I did get a 75* increase.   

Good info, thanks!
  • #12 by Yelnoc on 28 Sep 2017
  • That's the nice thing about grill grates they have a flat side if you just want Caramelization without the grill marks, i'll check to see if I have those pics I posted on the other site a very long time ago and post it for ya

Only had mine long enough to do the temp checks but the flat side is what I'd use for steaks as I agree with Meathead that grill marks are cosmetic.  I'm originally from Richland BTW with family in Spokane and Seattle areas - grandparents had a farm near Cheney and Medical Lake way back in the day :)
    • Yelnoc
  • #13 by Quadman750 on 29 Sep 2017

I am certain I would have a hard time explaining away a second grill if it showed up to use only as a high heat cooker, but I might have to try it.... I was surprised by the fire as I had just scraped it down prior to start up, but I did not clean around the edges or the grease channel that drains to the bucket, maybe that is what gave it enough to go.

I purchased the Memphis Pro used for 1/3 of the price of new with a second controller,direct flame insert,extra shelves ,cover & extra meat probes so I could not pass it up.
  • #14 by 4given on 02 Oct 2017
  • I get decent grill marks with my grill grates. Searing on a gas grill is easier
  • #15 by MP09 on 02 Oct 2017
  • No grease fires yet but I do keep up the maintenance. Grill grates for high temp cooks have been great...
Pages:
Actions