Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire! Fire!  (Read 3617 times)

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Fire! Fire!
« on: September 27, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »

Well, after close to 3 years with my Daniel Boone, I figured out why they call it open flame technology.  I was cooking some T-Bones and had it cranked up to 480 with the grates in the open position and my old fire shield with no deflectors on.  I had scraped down the drip tray prior to starting, but the dropping grease and the residual left on the tray ignited.  Fortunately I was close by and was able to save the beef, but the interior on the chimney side that ignited did not fare as well.  I now have bubbling powder coat and bare metal on that side.  I might consider getting those grill grates now or go back to the propane for the high/hot cooks.

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Fire! Fire!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »

Glad you were near the unit.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »

I've had success with grill grates on the GMG as low as 325*, normally run it about 350*

Well, after close to 3 years with my Daniel Boone, I figured out why they call it open flame technology.  I was cooking some T-Bones and had it cranked up to 480 with the grates in the open position and my old fire shield with no deflectors on.  I had scraped down the drip tray prior to starting, but the dropping grease and the residual left on the tray ignited.  Fortunately I was close by and was able to save the beef, but the interior on the chimney side that ignited did not fare as well.  I now have bubbling powder coat and bare metal on that side.  I might consider getting those grill grates now or go back to the propane for the high/hot cooks.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »

I was thinking of trying that.  Glad you were able to save it.  Grill grates are sounding good now,  Hope you can get your paint fixed.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

ICIdaho

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 12:53:07 PM »

I've had success with grill grates on the GMG as low as 325*, normally run it about 350*

Is that enough to produce a steak with some caramelizing?  I don't need char, but I do like it to look like it has been bbq and not baked.

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »

That's the nice thing about grill grates they have a flat side if you just want Caramelization without the grill marks, i'll check to see if I have those pics I posted on the other site a very long time ago and post it for ya

World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:17:33 PM »

I've made the mistake of a high heat cook without cleaning or burning off. I now have two pellet grills, one for low & slow, one for high heat.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

ICIdaho

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »

I've made the mistake of a high heat cook without cleaning or burning off. I now have two pellet grills, one for low & slow, one for high heat.

I am certain I would have a hard time explaining away a second grill if it showed up to use only as a high heat cooker, but I might have to try it.... I was surprised by the fire as I had just scraped it down prior to start up, but I did not clean around the edges or the grease channel that drains to the bucket, maybe that is what gave it enough to go.

DB

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »

I am liking my GrilGrates on a old beater gas grill. I can fix lunch in a flash while my smoker is fixing diner.

Yelnoc

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:07:28 PM »

Since I doubted the GrillGrate claims I did a pretty extensive test using Thermoworks Smoke and a infrared laser thermometer to see if I could get close to the claimed temperature increases.  First let's say that most of the advantages of GG don't really come into play with a pellet grill, as normally we (usually) don't have a problem with flare ups, etc.   I have had a grease fires in my Traeger and Louisiana grills, but in all cases it was my fault.  That being said and without going into detail, my results on a virtually new GMG Daniel Boone were that at set temperatures of 150-350* GG did not increase the temperature directly above the GG or on the surface of the GG.  Interestingly enough I found that the temperature on the surface of the GG and directly above the grate using the air probe of the Smoke were essentially the same.  When I cranked the GMG DB up to max, I did get a 75* increase.   

ICIdaho

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 10:29:37 AM »

Since I doubted the GrillGrate claims I did a pretty extensive test using Thermoworks Smoke and a infrared laser thermometer to see if I could get close to the claimed temperature increases.  First let's say that most of the advantages of GG don't really come into play with a pellet grill, as normally we (usually) don't have a problem with flare ups, etc.   I have had a grease fires in my Traeger and Louisiana grills, but in all cases it was my fault.  That being said and without going into detail, my results on a virtually new GMG Daniel Boone were that at set temperatures of 150-350* GG did not increase the temperature directly above the GG or on the surface of the GG.  Interestingly enough I found that the temperature on the surface of the GG and directly above the grate using the air probe of the Smoke were essentially the same.  When I cranked the GMG DB up to max, I did get a 75* increase.   

Good info, thanks!

Yelnoc

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 07:28:27 PM »

That's the nice thing about grill grates they have a flat side if you just want Caramelization without the grill marks, i'll check to see if I have those pics I posted on the other site a very long time ago and post it for ya

Only had mine long enough to do the temp checks but the flat side is what I'd use for steaks as I agree with Meathead that grill marks are cosmetic.  I'm originally from Richland BTW with family in Spokane and Seattle areas - grandparents had a farm near Cheney and Medical Lake way back in the day :)

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 06:44:58 AM »

I am certain I would have a hard time explaining away a second grill if it showed up to use only as a high heat cooker, but I might have to try it.... I was surprised by the fire as I had just scraped it down prior to start up, but I did not clean around the edges or the grease channel that drains to the bucket, maybe that is what gave it enough to go.

I purchased the Memphis Pro used for 1/3 of the price of new with a second controller,direct flame insert,extra shelves ,cover & extra meat probes so I could not pass it up.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

4given

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »

I get decent grill marks with my grill grates. Searing on a gas grill is easier
John 3:16-18  GMG Daniel Boone, GMG Davy Crockett

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »

No grease fires yet but I do keep up the maintenance. Grill grates for high temp cooks have been great...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"
Pages: [1]   Go Up