Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Competitions: The fun novice type. Looking for advice  (Read 560 times)

keithj69

• Using less gas.
Competitions: The fun novice type. Looking for advice
« on: September 27, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »

I am entering a fun non-sanctioned local comp scheduled in Nov. This is actually my 2nd time doing this comp and I still have questions.
The meats are chicken/pork ribs/ pork shoulder/butt.  No garnish in the box, so I am happy.
Is Restaurant Depot any better for meat over Sams/costco/bj's?  Is ordering from online sources (pricey) worth it over the local brick and mortar?
Rib wise, any tips on a good flavor profile.  As of today i plan on working with John Henry's honey rib rub and blues hogs sauces.  This will probably change.
Any tips on bite through skin?  I think we are going to do thighs.
Any tips on the shoulder/butt.  I will be practicing like crazy in this in the coming weeks.  what is a good combo to turn in? Money muscle, and some pulled. I am not sure.
Wasn't there a checklist on the other site for comp's? If anyone has a checklist to share i would appreciate it.
I'll have more questions as time goes.
BGW Grid Iron GMG DB GMG DC

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Competitions: The fun novice type. Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »

No.
No.
No, your guess is a good as mine after 15 years.
Yes.
No, it is the hardest meat to cook, that is why I quit cooking it.
Don't turn in anything but Slices where ever the best are on the cut.  Stay away from cat food.

A PDF was sent to your email on file.

Is Restaurant Depot any better for meat over Sams/costco/bj's?
Is ordering from online sources (pricey) worth it over the local brick and mortar?
Rib wise, any tips on a good flavor profile.
As of today i plan on working with John Henry's honey rib rub and blues hogs sauces.  This will probably change.
Any tips on bite through skin?
Any tips on the shoulder/butt.
Wasn't there a checklist on the other site for comp's?

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »

Here is the link to FMT's competition chicken.  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=333.0

It was very generous of him to share it and I think you would do well with it.  You can always substitute your own rubs and sauces and just use his method of prep.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:23:23 PM by Kristin Meredith »

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:17:26 PM »

Your flavor profile is going to be dependent on which ever region your in, blues hog is popular across a lot of area's don't know anything about Henry's as my go to is smackers rub which is a bit of a Memphis Profile and Simply Marvelous Cherry.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »

Your flavor profile is going to be dependent on which ever region your in, blues hog is popular across a lot of area's don't know anything about Henry's as my go to is smackers rub which is a bit of a Memphis Profile and Simply Marvelous Cherry.
Region is Central Florida.  A rather mixed bag of styles.  I will look into the rubs. Thank you.

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »

Here is the link to FMT's competition chicken.  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=333.0

It was very generous of him to share it and I think you would do well with it.  You can always substitute your own rubs and sauces and just use his method of prep.
Thanks for pointing that out.  And Thank you FMT for the info.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:12:41 PM »

It is why I started the "This is How I Cook...." board.  Folks can share how they cook a variety of meats, but you do find some cooks in that section that show how to cook the 4 competition meats.  Those might prove useful to the competition or home cook.
Pages: [1]   Go Up