Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Power of Community  (Read 905 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
The Power of Community
« on: September 23, 2020, 08:28:43 AM »

Read a story this morning.  A North Dakota farmer had just started harvesting when he suffered a massive heart attack and had to be rushed to the hospital.  Of course, prime harvest season and this is Sept in North Dakota, so:  (1) weather could change instantly and the crops could be ruined if not harvested soon; and (2) all your neighbors are farmers are trying to get their crops in also.  So, you expect an unfortunate ending right? 

No, this is a farming community. The neighbors heard and came together to help -- group used 11 combines, six grain carts and 15 tractor-trailers to finish harvesting the Durum wheat and canola. Using the power of community, they harvested 1,000 acres in seven hours.  Those who assisted say letting the crops go unharvested would've been a big loss for the family and helping out was just common sense.

"Everybody knows the Unhjems, and they're good people and good in the community, and it's just kind of the farming way of life, too. You help your neighbor out when they need it, and don't expect anything in return," the person who organized it said.

We should remember the power of community and togetherness!!!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
Re: The Power of Community
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 09:25:20 AM »

What a great thread, Kristin.
You rock with your wonderful attitudes about people, places, and things!
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:26:38 AM »

Somehow it seems the Midwest is known more for their friendliness and unity than the left and right coasts of our country.  This coming from someone who lived in every time zone in the continental USA.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »

11 combines and 6 grain carts...you would not believe the amount of hits a video like that would produce on youtube.  Have seen about 6 at a time, but 11...Shame that it could not have been taped, it really would been a sight to see.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »

This is the normal for farming communities.  I grew up farming and working for farmers.  Everyone was always willing to pitch in if anything went wrong.  Most often, you would find that once one farmer finished harvest, specially if weather was on the way, they would take equipment and hired hands to the neighbors who had not finished and just show up in the fields and continue with someone else's harvest.  It was a real community....and if anyone saw a fire, the hills started crawling with tractors from every direction to plow in a fire line.

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »

Would be rare to find that kind of concern for your neighbor in a big city.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 12:19:23 PM »

I love that story and that photograph.  But I love North Dakota.  From the high plains (pictured) to the badlands.  If you look closely you can see trees on the horizon.  They were probably planted to fulfill a land claim requirement.  The number of trees required to homestead were planted around the perimeter of the free 160 acres so as to not be in the way of crops.  To this day those trees are referred to as the tree claim.

A landowner might tell you, "I saw three deer in my north tree claim."
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 05:50:39 PM »

I live near a large amish community, and grew up right in the center of that community. Over the years, there have been more than a few barn fires that were total losses. It's always astonished me how fast they can get another barn up as a group for the person that lost theirs. I mean the ashes are probably still warm and they have the foundation poured for a new one.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 06:33:34 PM »

I live near a large amish community, and grew up right in the center of that community. Over the years, there have been more than a few barn fires that were total losses. It's always astonished me how fast they can get another barn up as a group for the person that lost theirs. I mean the ashes are probably still warm and they have the foundation poured for a new one.

Kinda makes you wonder why the rest of our country can't or doesn't want to do things like that.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 07:16:34 PM »

Kinda makes you wonder why the rest of our country can't or doesn't want to do things like that.
Indeed.

urnmor

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 09:30:37 PM »

Always great to hear stories that make our Country strong

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 12:57:30 PM »

Bumping this.  Seems our country needs a dose of this attitude and kindness right now.

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 03:07:50 PM »

Even more dramatic than that. The farmer had previously had a heart attack, but this emergency was brought on by his combine harvester catching fire, with him in it.

"Unhjem’s neighbors saw the fire and raced over, helping him extinguish the blaze and saving the field from ruin. But the shock of the moment, coupled with the thick plumes of smoke Unhjem inhaled, triggered the 57-year-old farmer to go into cardiac arrest."

[ Invalid Attachment ]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2020/09/23/farmer-fell-ill-so-dozens-his-neighbors-showed-up-spontaneously-harvested-his-crops/
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2022, 06:52:53 AM »

Bumping this again.  We can all be reminded to be kind and care for each other, me included!
Pages: [1]   Go Up