Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some advice is welcome. Chicken leg cook?  (Read 612 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Some advice is welcome. Chicken leg cook?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 04:49:21 PM »

Probably late to the party but we have made chicken lollipops several times. Kind of a pain for the first few but once you have a rhythm smooth as silk. Smoked, kept warm under foil in pans and we had several “dipping sauces” warmed up in small crockpots. The kids of all ages really seemed to like them. So did many adults. Just a thought.

Have never tried them, are these made from drumsticks or the wing portion? I need to cook and transport, maybe 30 minute drive but i am sure we will need to be there an hour or two early so the chicken will need to sit for at least 2 hours maybe closer to 3. I will have to look into these though it may be something for another gathering.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 04:56:24 PM »

Probably late to the party but we have made chicken lollipops several times. Kind of a pain for the first few but once you have a rhythm smooth as silk. Smoked, kept warm under foil in pans and we had several “dipping sauces” warmed up in small crockpots. The kids of all ages really seemed to like them. So did many adults. Just a thought.

We have only done them with legs. They might be able to be done with other cuts, that I don’t know. I will tell you we have held them probably 2 hours, foiled and kept warm and they were good. The warm sauce was a good treat for the kids. In fact we even did a warm strawberry jelly and they ate the heck out of it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:08:29 PM by Bentley »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 09:25:31 PM »

Today was the day. I bought 15# of drumsticks. I was not sure of per pound count. I ended up with 40, and figuring I would need maybe 25, as I was doing 2 larger breasts and 3 boneless skinless thighs SV to make shredded chicken. We bought a bag of potato pearls, I broke it down in to 2 batches, so there wasn't so much waste.

I decided to do 30 and i would have one or two to sample. I found out after I had them on that there would be taco salad, and buffalo chicken dip, or I would not have made as many as I did. Took 28 I picked up a full size aluminum pan and a cover for it, figured we would drop it in a cooler with a few towels to keep them warm. Did them in the PB Copperhead 7 at 165 for an hour then upped temp to 385 took them off around 168 to 172. I had seasoned them with the BBQ rub we make up and when I bumped the temp i sprayed with some olive oil, only oil sprayer I could find. Once I panned them I gave a light spray again before closing them up and into the cooler.

The shredded chicken I did SV 152 for 3.5 hours. Took it out left it rest a bit until I got the mixer and the little pork puller rods I had for it out. I had to hand shred a few  pieces and then seasoned it with the same seasoning, was going to sauce it before adding to the slow cooker but decided to leave it the way it was and if they wanted sauce they could add it. I was very surprised it was really good, why I didn't sauce it. the GF liked it the way it was also.I did add back in most of the liquid from the thigh bag just to help keep it more moist in the slow cooker. The picture is a 4Qt I am figuring I had 4 to 4.5 pound raw.

I also made a pumpkin dump type cake to take, the pies they bought were not very good. So the cake was a hit. The buffalo chicken dip was good and her sister makes a nice taco salad, although not much in the veggie part. Her BIL was really happy as he asked about the buffalo chicken as he was proud he made it himself. I asked him how he got the chicken so fine, canned chicken, it just falls apart in the crock pot, why didn't i think of that, probably because that isn't how I would do things normally.

All in all it all turned out very well and I could have made half of what I made and sill been good. There were 15 legs left, i have some for lunch tomorrow and we have some of the shredded chicken which will find its way into a salad or warmed and used in fajitas for dinner.

Thank you all for your info and advice on different things, I truly appreciate it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2020, 09:54:07 PM »

happy to hear that it sounds like it turned out better than you expected
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 10:55:38 PM »

Ya done Great!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 06:16:05 AM »

Nicely done.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 07:38:27 AM »

Sounds great and leftover chicken is a wonderful thing to have!  Good thing Bent wasn't there, he loves drumsticks.  You would have had 3 leftover! :pig:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up