Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by yorkdude on 30 Sep 2020
  • Last several times we have done bacon salt box. Saturday we grabbed 44#’s and started them Sunday afternoon. Last pic shows the moisture pulled out, seems like so far, so good.
  • #2 by pmillen on 30 Sep 2020
  • I have no idea of what you're doing.  Except contributing to my education.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 30 Sep 2020
  • I have no idea of what you're doing.  Except contributing to my education.

+1
  • #4 by yorkdude on 30 Sep 2020
  • I am curing bacon using the salt box method. We cure it between 7-10 days and then smoke it.
  • #5 by Blowin Smoke on 30 Sep 2020
  • As Terrell Owens said, " Get your popcorn ready " :)
  • #6 by Canadian John on 01 Oct 2020

•  What exactly is the salt you are using? Kosher? Is there anything else in the cure?
  • #7 by yorkdude on 01 Oct 2020
  • Kosher salt, coarse ground pepper and Prague #1.
  • #8 by Bentley on 01 Oct 2020
  • You are just salt curing it?  No sodium nitrite.
  • #9 by yorkdude on 01 Oct 2020
  • I added Prague #1.
  • #10 by Bentley on 01 Oct 2020
  • Is just a colloquialism?  What distinguishes this from you and me just measuring out the salt, sugar & cure, rubbing it in the belly and letting it sit in zip lock for 7-10 days?

Last several times we have done bacon salt box.
  • #11 by yorkdude on 01 Oct 2020
  • Is just a colloquialism?  What distinguishes this from you and me just measuring out the salt, sugar & cure, rubbing it in the belly and letting it sit in zip lock for 7-10 days?

Last several times we have done bacon salt box.
    With salt box you measure the ingredients and as the picture shows just basically dredge them and make sure they are covered on all sides, then knock off the excess. Then into the zip loc bags. P.S. we don’t use sugar, just kosher salt , coarse ground pepper and Prague #1. Then I wait 7-10 days and rinse them very good. Slice a piece and fry (unsmoked) to gauge the saltiness, too salty, rinse again etc. Once we like the taste, start the smoker.
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 01 Oct 2020
  • For those that have not cured meats...

Prague #1 --->  aka -  Insta Cure #1, Morton Tender Quick, or Sodium Nitrite (NOT Nitrate)
    Morton Tender Quick is probably most common, but all are available online.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Oct 2020
  • Sometimes we use that prague #1 when we make jerky
  • #14 by yorkdude on 01 Oct 2020
  • Sometimes we use that prague #1 when we make jerky
    From everything I have read, #1 for smoked meat and #2 for cured, no heat. Probably not explaining it correctly but think #2 for ground meats like a dried salami etc.
  • #15 by Bentley on 01 Oct 2020
  • Big difference between #1 cure and TQ though.  TQ is 0.5% and #1 is 6.5%.  You need to make sure you use the amounts indicated for each when using!

For those that have not cured meats...

Prague #1 --->  aka -  Insta Cure #1, Morton Tender Quick, or Sodium Nitrite (NOT Nitrate)
    Morton Tender Quick is probably most common, but all are available online.
Pages:
Actions