Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 01 Oct 2020
  • I have two 1 1/2 pound steaks and I am looking for options on how to smoke/grill them on my GMG DB.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Oct 2020
  • It depends on whether you like that mallard reaction on them or not.  I don't need it on my steaks.

I put them on for 45-60 minutes at 275° grate level temp flipping once after about a half hour.  I take the temp at that 30 minute mark and then periodically after that depending on what I want temp I want to cook them.  If you like your steak closer to rare, you should probably check after about 15-20 minutes.
  • #3 by Bentley on 01 Oct 2020
  • Whne it comes to steaks I am pure grill.  No reverse this or smoke that 1st.  500° surface with a bit of oil rubbed on the grate before hand.  Place the steak on the grate at a 45° angle, flip it and place at the opposite 45° angle.  On the 2nd flip rotate the 45° and repeat process.  After 8 minutes the steak should be rare 120-125°...after that it is a matter of just leaving in pit till your temp is reached.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 01 Oct 2020
  • Whne it comes to steaks I am pure grill.  No reverse this or smoke that 1st.  500° surface with a bit of oil rubbed on the grate before hand.  Place the steak on the grate at a 45° angle, flip it and place at the opposite 45° angle.  On the 2nd flip rotate the 45° and repeat process.  After 8 minutes the steak should be rare 120-125°...after that it is a matter of just leaving in pit till your temp is reached.

+1

Not much for me to say, you pretty much said it all.
    Only difference, I grind a little salt and pepper on each side first.

• #5 by dk117 on 01 Oct 2020
  • I'll make a plug for reverse sear.  Those are some pretty big steaks.   180 degrees or even smoke for an hour or so.  Then showtime, if your pit can make 450 plus, or if you have grill grates awesome.  I move my steaks over to a 600 degree gasser with grill grates.   two three minutes a side, checking temp regularly.

The reason I use reverse sear is that I feel it reduces the risk of a straight pure grill sear.  Pure grill its easier to under do the center or over do the outside. 

:2cents:

Edit:  I expect some debate here :D  I want to note I didn't say the smoke flavor was better on reverse sear, nor did I say it was a superior process, I only put forth that I feel it reduces risk of over, or under done steaks. 
  • #6 by reubenray on 01 Oct 2020
  • I tried the reverse option once before where I did smoke them for a while and then reversed seared them in the house on the stove.  I won't make that mistake again.  My wife had to grab the dog to go outside when the smoke detectors went off.

My DB will reach 500 degrees plus I have grill grates.  I was thinking of having the steaks on the smoker while I am slowly bringing it up to the 500 degrees and then finished them off on the grill grates.  But would this dry them out or overcook them.  We like our steaks medium rare.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Oct 2020
  • I tried the reverse option once before where I did smoke them for a while and then reversed seared them in the house on the stove.  I won't make that mistake again.  My wife had to grab the dog to go outside when the smoke detectors went off.

My DB will reach 500 degrees plus I have grill grates.  I was thinking of having the steaks on the smoker while I am slowly bringing it up to the 500 degrees and then finished them off on the grill grates.  But would this dry them out or overcook them.  We like our steaks medium rare.

If you are going to smoke then sear on the same grill then I suggest you read the others threads on here about grease fires before you attempt that method.
  • #8 by reubenray on 01 Oct 2020

If you are going to smoke then sear on the same grill then I suggest you read the others threads on here about grease fires before you attempt that method.

I have none numerous burn-offs without my smoker catching on fire.  IMHO the secret is to bring the temperature up slowly.
  • #9 by reubenray on 02 Oct 2020
  • I will do these on my grill grates and high temperature on the DB tomorrow.  The last time I cooked some steaks was some small New York strips.  I did them on my Blackstone, but these are a lot bigger than those were.
  • #10 by yorkdude on 02 Oct 2020
  • I am also in the straight grill camp. I have a few times sous vide them 1st to about 125 and then grilled them, they were quite good but not as good in my opinion. Salt, pepper and fire.
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 02 Oct 2020
  • I usually just grill, griddle or pan fry anything under about 1.25" 1.5 and up i will either sear then bake for lack of better term or bake then sear. Because I am a manly man cook, if I grill or griddle burners are cranked all the way, no part throttle for me. so the really thick ones get over done on the outside until the inside is done. I guess i should learn how to turn the burners down while cooking instead of at the end when I shut them off.
  • #12 by MMike on 03 Oct 2020
  • I have a 6 year old GMG DB with Grillgrates...The only drawback: It had no direct heat. I altered it... This configuration works great for steaks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJH0sMr0_lw
    It happens I'm cooking hamburgers today. If anyone's interested I can post a video of what this looks like in action.  :cool:
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 03 Oct 2020
  • I have a 6 year old GMG DB with Grillgrates...The only drawback: It had no direct heat. I altered it... This configuration works great for steaks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJH0sMr0_lw
    It happens I'm cooking hamburgers today. If anyone's interested I can post a video of what this looks like in action.  :cool:

We like videos.
  • #14 by pmillen on 03 Oct 2020

A terrific idea.  When you sear–
    • Is the lid open?
    • Do you presear or postsear?
    The video may provide the answers.
  • #15 by MMike on 03 Oct 2020
  • Thx for the interest. I'll post the video tomorrow.  :)  I normly pre sear with the lid closed..Could be done post and with the lid open...In the video, the deflector is covering the fire pot.. Now I have it only 1/2 covered...Caution: I have heard of a completely uncovered fire pot melting Grillgrates.
Pages:
Actions