Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fort Riley  (Read 398 times)

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Fort Riley
« on: October 02, 2020, 01:28:22 PM »

We are probably 30 miles as a crow flies from Ft. Riley. I am home today and holy smokes, they must be on the heavy artillery range. I can’t for the life of me imagine what any scenario up close and personal to the firepower that we possess would be like.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Re: Fort Riley
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 03:08:24 PM »

I'd sure hate to be on the receiving end of that.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 03:39:20 PM »

That is a long way.  But you live in a state that does not have a lot of rise and fall.  I wonder if they would be the 155mm's?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 04:24:56 PM »

That is a long way.  But you live in a state that does not have a lot of rise and fall.  I wonder if they would be the 155mm's?
Have no idea the mm’s but boy howdy theY “rocked this casbaugh”. Fort Riley is home to the Big Red One. So very impressive out on interstate 70. I have been on base many times doing my job but today is pretty phenomenal. Might be just because I am home? We somewhat  often have the helicopters flying over north of us and they are impressive as all get out. They also fly out of here (Jets) and head north and they are on the pedal, so to speak.

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »

In a similar situation, I work from home and inside my office I can hear the gun range at Camp Bullis near my house here in San Antonio most weekdays. They go for hours most days, but not today. Some days I think I hear the tracks from a tank or something driving around at the base. Between that and the Quarry blasting away every couple days, it can get a little interesting. The blasts sometimes last more than a few seconds, rattle windows and I can feel the ground shaking.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 04:50:00 PM »

In a similar situation, I work from home and inside my office I can hear the gun range at Camp Bullis near my house here in San Antonio most weekdays. They go for hours most days, but not today. Some days I think I hear the tracks from a tank or something driving around at the base. Between that and the Quarry blasting away every couple days, it can get a little interesting. The blasts sometimes last more than a few seconds, rattle windows and I can feel the ground shaking.

Dang, that's a little too "up-close and personal" !   :o
Better hope they don't start testing bombs.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

yorkdude

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »

The jets are flying by but the sun is not cooperating. Only one I could get that was nothing but glare.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 10:21:20 PM »

We see all kinds of trainers here because the Navy made a deal with our little local airport to do touch and goes.  They come out of Corpus I think.  And I'm sure Slaga has seen the GIANT plane that flies around San Antonio.  It looks like it's going to fall out of the sky because it's going so slow.  I think it's an C5 according to a buddy of mine who is a former Marine.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

slaga

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »

Dang, that's a little too "up-close and personal" !   :o
Better hope they don't start testing bombs.

Not really. The rock quarry is between me and Camp Bullis. The tank sound is just like I hear on TV, but I guess it could be some type of conveyor system at the quarry. It is the mettallic clank, clank, clank sound. The gun fire is distant enough, inside my house it sounds like a woodpecker. I find the "woodpecker" kind of comforting actually. It is the sound of our military training. We get email notifications on the quarry blasts the morning of the blast. They happen at 3 pm, and all but 1 has happened within a couple minutes of its scheduled time. The quarry blasts are scheduled to end in November and has only been going on for a few months.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 09:22:14 AM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

slaga

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 09:28:07 AM »

We see all kinds of trainers here because the Navy made a deal with our little local airport to do touch and goes.  They come out of Corpus I think.  And I'm sure Slaga has seen the GIANT plane that flies around San Antonio.  It looks like it's going to fall out of the sky because it's going so slow.  I think it's an C5 according to a buddy of mine who is a former Marine.
I think I am a little too close to the San Antonio Airport flight path for that.  I see lots of commercial airliners fly around my house, but they rarely fly over. I do catch a glimpse of the military planes when I am out and about though. I love San Antonio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up