Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 04 Oct 2020
  • I cleaned/defrosted my one freezer the other week. I put aside a bunch of beef and pork thinking I am just going to grind it all in to burger.

Stuff that I vac sealed and has a year to 2 years on it, and you know how it is you never rotate new to the bottom and bring the older to the top for use. Probably just going to grind it all together.

How do you folks grind? Single or double grind? Size plate? I have I believe a 3/16, 7mm (between 1/4 and 5/16) and a 3/8 plate, along with a stuffing plate. #8 grinder. It is a small electric grinder I bought last year.
  • #2 by cookingjnj on 04 Oct 2020
  • I have an attachment for my Kitchenaid that I use and it works well.  I use the course plate (sorry I do not know the actual size) and put the meat through the grinder twice.  It has always been really good.
  • #3 by yorkdude on 04 Oct 2020
  • We single grind and I am not sure what the plate size is, we only have the kitchen aid attachment. We use the large on, guessing about 1/4”?
    So basically not much help from us.
    We have tried twice and to be honest not sure if we can tell a difference though. We just worry about it getting “mealy”.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 04 Oct 2020
  • I use the 3/8" size plate.
    Run chunks through, add seasoning, mix by hand, and run through a 2nd time.
    2nd time is probably not necessary, but in my mind I think it mixes seasoning better.
  • #5 by hughver on 04 Oct 2020
  • I normally use a 1/4" plate for both beef and pork and run it through once. I've used a larger plate for chili meat and a smaller one for some meat sauces.
  • #6 by Bentley on 04 Oct 2020
  • I guess for me it would depend on my grinder,  I just have the Kitchen aid, which is adequate for one grind.  I use the 1/4 or 3/16" plate, never sure which it is.  If I had a LEM type system (or any type that made a 2nd grind easy), where running the meat back through was a simple process, I would go with the 3/8" plate 1st and do the 2nd grind fine.
  • #7 by pmillen on 05 Oct 2020
    2nd time is probably not necessary, but in my mind I think it mixes seasoning better.

What seasoning do you add?

Is you hamburger ground for a single purpose, like meatloaf or meat balls?
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 06 Oct 2020

I have done this before when I made sausage or sticks. Then I just got to seasoning the chunks of meat before I grind.
  • #9 by 02ebz06 on 06 Oct 2020

What seasoning do you add?

Is you hamburger ground for a single purpose, like meatloaf or meat balls?

Nothing fancy added, just Worcester Sauce, Liquid Smoke, a little S&P, some chopped onions, and some oatmeal flakes to help hold it together.
    Some use bread crumbs, we use Oatmeal.
    We grind some with no seasoning for things like tacos, fatties, meatloaf, then season them at cooking time.

Pages:
Actions