Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 07 Oct 2020

• I removed the fat cap and associated silver skin from this section of pork loin.

I cut it into four two-inch boneless chops, seasoned both sides, browned them over direct heat, and finished them with a glaze on indirect heat.

But our dinner guests couldn't make it so we have two left over.  I can slice one into thirds and make a sandwich or fry with eggs, but I could use your ideas for other uses.  Can one be shredded and made into burritos?  If so, how would you season and heat it?

I'm open to other suggestions.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Oct 2020
  • Leave as is and eat another meal tomorrow.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 07 Oct 2020
  • I would think if you wanted burritos, you could chop it, and reheat by steaming to keep it from drying out. maybe a gentle reheat via sous vide would work also. you could put some butter and a bit of sauce in with it. i do shrimp like that, butter, hot sauce and some seasoning 132 for 30 minutes for the shrimp.
  • #4 by Bentley on 07 Oct 2020
  • You could grind it (or I guess shred it), season it, and serve as steamed cabbage rolls, a Chinese & Bentley favorite.

• #5 by BigDave83 on 07 Oct 2020
  • You could grind it (or I guess shred it), season it, and serve as steamed cabbage rolls, a Chinese & Bentley favorite.

Tell me more about these please.
  • #6 by Bentley on 07 Oct 2020
  • Many versions, i.e. every country seems to do it, with ingredients usually found in their other dishes.  For me it is simply seasoned ground pork.  How it is seasoned...a Chinese version would be ground pork, shiitake mushrooms, other fillings and the seasonings.  (This can be whatever you find appealing)  I highly recommend Napa or Savoy cabbage, cooked in boiling water till they are pliable.  Depending on the size of the leaf, 2oz of filling is usually enough.  Steam long enough for the filling to cook, 20 minutes is usually plenty of time.  My mom would make more of a eastern European version that would be half lamb, and she would cook in an electric skillet with spiced stewed tomatoes and then add a dollop of sour cream at presentation.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Oct 2020
  • Many versions, i.e. every country seems to do it, with ingredients usually found in their other dishes.  For me it is simply seasoned ground pork.  How it is seasoned...a Chinese version would be ground pork, shiitake mushrooms, other fillings and the seasonings.  (This can be whatever you find appealing)  I highly recommend Napa or Savoy cabbage, cooked in boiling water till they are pliable.  Depending on the size of the leaf, 2oz of filling is usually enough.  Steam long enough for the filling to cook, 20 minutes is usually plenty of time.  My mom would make more of a eastern European version that would be half lamb, and she would cook in an electric skillet with spiced stewed tomatoes and then add a dollop of sour cream at presentation.

Your mom's version sounds more like a halupki which goes by many names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go%C5%82%C4%85bki
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Oct 2020
  • If you still have those pork chops, you could slice them thin and make Cuban sandwiches if you have any pulled pork.
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 11 Oct 2020
  • Stir-fry
  • #10 by pmillen on 11 Oct 2020
  • Dang!  I didn't consider stir-fry.  That would have been perfect for us.

Hoping to not dry them out, I sauced them lightly and sous vide cooked them to serving temperature.  Then I sauced them heavier when served.

They didn't seem to dry.
  • #11 by okie smokie on 11 Oct 2020
  • I don't think a chop that thick is appealing as a left over.  I really do like Bentley's idea of making ground or shredded lettuce rolls.  Either miracle whip, mayo or perhaps chipotle sauce sounds great.  Beautiful chops, you are a great butcher. I particularly like the uniform thickness, which is often difficult to obtain.
  • #12 by Osborn Cox on 13 Oct 2020
  • Sliced thin and served in a bowl of ramen noodles, with soft boiled egg, mushrooms, spinach, etc.    We finish off a lot of leftover meat this way.    Or fried rice.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #13 by pmillen on 14 Oct 2020
  • #14 by okie smokie on 14 Oct 2020
  • I'd go for that right now. Can be done easily to dress up ramen noodles. 
Pages:
Actions