Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any of you all every eaten or cooked one?  (Read 875 times)

Mikro

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Any of you all every eaten or cooked one?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 12:46:25 PM »

All wild meat is gamy compared to pellet fed farm raised. It is what you get use to I guess. It is not as bad as wild duck (liver on wings) :puke:
Saying all wild meat is gamey is a misnomer. Even beef can be gamey if not properly handled once slaughtered.

What matters is how it is handled and processed once it is harvested. Many people wait to clean animals and that process can add to the " Gamey Flavor " Heat is an enemy of preparation.

Wild duck also can be very good depending on the type of duck. Wood duck, most teal and a few other grain and nut feeders are great tasting, whereas, Pintails, Mallards and some others are not. Also the diet of those can greatly effect the taste. Ducks harvested in colder climates usually have a diet that consist of more grains, where as once they fly south the diet may change as they will tend to feed off the bottom vegatation in ponds as well, and if on the coast may even eat fish.

MK
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 10:12:21 PM »

I used to hunt them every fall and spring. My wife and I prefer wild turkey over anything store bought. The legs are useless as they are stringy. The breast when cooked correctly is like eating a very large quail or a good pheasant, well at least the Rio Grande type of turkeys here in Texas are. Most people will overcook one and then they are tough as boot leather and have no flavor. :)

I've been thinking about this.  The Game warden in one area I'm familiar with turns a blind eye to infractions involving the huge turkey flocks.  I may drive out there and pop a few with a .223 or .17 HMR and harvest the breasts.  If nothing else, I'll try jerky.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 09:11:46 PM »

More foxes and coyotes would probably solve the problem.?

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »

More foxes and coyotes would probably solve the problem.?

That isn't such a great thing either. Growing up and hunting, I never  heard about coyotes and it was a rare occurrence to see a fox, I had seen a few reds around some of the pastures where I hunted.

40 years later, coyotes are every where, have even seen a couple been hit and laying along the road. I do not believe there is a season for them, as people seem to hunt them all the time. Red fox, I see more of them today than I ever have. Turkey population seems to be thriving, rabbits, pheasants and deer numbers seem to be down when listening to hunters at the clubs.

Hunting is not as popular today here as it was, even in the rural area I grew up and still live in. Schools still close for a day or so at deer season, but the number of hunters seem to be down. I can remember getting caught up in deer drives and coming out with them to find 10 vehicles and 30 to 50 people, and that wasn't counting the ones that were left at the start.

I wish I was still physically able to wonder through the woods with a gun, right around this time was my favorite time, taking the 22 rifle or revolver out and harvesting a few squirrels for dinner the next night. Very few people in the woods for small game season.

urnmor

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »

I tried posting before however lost it before I could post. Anyway at least IMO wild Turkey has in many areas become an invasive species.  I don’t mean they have not been around before but now they are invading housing areas etc. I believe this is a man made problem as we have either taken away their forest which forces them to forage for food in housing areas, killed off their predators.  The same can be said for deer, which resulted in their population explosion.   I understand the need to protect our property however when you kill the cats, the foxes etc you a void.  That void is being filled by other animals increasing in numbers and or migrating to populated areas.  Oh and one more point we are not allowed to trap or kill them in many areas. Just my opinion
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up