Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by yorkdude on 11 Oct 2020
  • Can anyone help us with just a basic white bread recipe?
    There is some good information available but not really much in common, bread flour vs.AP, dry powdered milk vs. none, cool water vs. warm, unsalted butter vs. salted?
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 11 Oct 2020
  • Got this from another web site, have made it and it was very good.
    In the directions, there are references to the video in the link below.

500 flour (450g bread flour, 50g whole wheat)
    175g water (cool)
    181g fresh milk (cool)
    5g Instant dry yeast
    10g salt
    25g sugar
    40g butter

Mix by putting flour, yeast and sugar in mixer and turn on 1st speed.
    Slowly add all milk, and then some water to reach about 60% hydration.
    When pumpkin shape dough forms, turn up to second speed speed and slowly add the rest of the water, then the butter in several steps and finally the salt at the end with a final bit of water.

Note from Author: My spiral mixer heats up the dough fast so I got the best results by keeping flour and water in the fridge. In this way, I'm mixing about 4 minutes on low and 9-10 minutes on high and ending up at 76-77F.

Fold the dough and allow to rest until double at room temp. Then form a loaf as he does in the video and let rise about 1.5 hours at room temp. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes.

My NOTE: Towards the end of the video you can see what the bread looks like.

Originally Youtube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TMRts23bjQ

• #3 by Bentley on 11 Oct 2020
  • I have tried several recipes, and much like biscuits with only 4 ingredients in them, I cannot seem to achieve the almost doughy texture of truly good "white bread".  My is always to course.  Cant seem to get the proof right.  Have tried the one above, but as I stated, that is not the texture I am looking for.  Take out a piece of cheap white bread, it is completely uniform.

Wish I could help...You might go the the King Auther flour website, they have some recipes, but I cant make them work either!
Pages:
Actions