Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 13 Oct 2020
  • Outside of my Dad, I think I am the only one in my family that enjoyed this dish!  So simple, yet so satisfying! My Dad preferred his onions, raw and covering, I tend to enjoy them more cooked into the dish!  This also had some wonderful Virginia Country Ham in it.  If you have never had it and you get a chance to have it, I highly recommend it.  Kristin might weigh in on the cons of that!

Any takers out there?

• #2 by Bentley on 13 Oct 2020
  • Only thing I wish I would have had was chicken stock!
  • #3 by hughver on 13 Oct 2020
  • Looks good to me, are those navy beans or white kidney beans?
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Oct 2020
  • A similar twist on that cook is how it is served a few hours north of you.  Do a google search for Pennsylvania Dutch Ham, green bean, and potato soup.  I will be having some of this once it cools down a little more.

• #5 by 02ebz06 on 13 Oct 2020
  • We do something similar with Ham hocks and Great Northern Beans.
    Onions cooked in the dish for us as well.
  • #6 by Bentley on 13 Oct 2020
  • Always pinto for this dish!  Navy for me are reserved for bean w/bacon soup!  Did not know there was a White Kidney, is that the same as Great Northern?

Looks good to me, are those navy beans or white kidney beans?
  • #7 by pmillen on 13 Oct 2020
  • You could float a boat with all of the ham and bean soup I've eaten in my lifetime.  I always have a second helping.
  • #8 by hughver on 13 Oct 2020
  • Always pinto for this dish!  Navy for me are reserved for bean w/bacon soup!  Did not know there was a White Kidney, is that the same as Great Northern?

White kidney beans are sometimes referred to as cannellini beans or fazolia beans.
  • #9 by 02ebz06 on 13 Oct 2020
  • Did not know there was a White Kidney, is that the same as Great Northern?

I didn't know there was a white kidney bean either.
    Found this description of white beans:

Navy (Pea) Beans

Also called pea beans, Navy beans are small, oval-shaped, and quick-cooking. Because they get creamy when cooked, they’re perfect for mashing against the side of the pot, pureeing in dips, and thickening soups, stews, ragouts, and more. They have a mild flavor and are the bean of choice for classic Boston baked beans, Navy Bean Chowder, and quintessential South Louisiana-Style White Beans & Rice. Interestingly, the Navy bean name comes from its use as a food staple by the U.S. Navy in the early 1900s. While all beans are high in fiber, Navy beans have the most — 19 grams per cup!

Great Northern Beans

Larger than Navy Beans but smaller than Cannellini beans, medium-sized Great Northern beans are known for their mild, nutty flavor and firm flesh. Great in soups and stews, they hold their shape better than Navy beans, take on the flavors of the foods they’re cooked with, and are commonly used in French cassoulets.

Cannellini Beans

Cannellini beans are the largest of the group and because of their traditional kidney shape, they can also be referred to as White Kidney Beans. Meatier than Navy or Great Northern beans, they have a nutty, earthy flavor and tender flesh, and are often used in Italian dishes like Minestrone. They retain their shape and texture well, so they’re perfect to use in salads, soups, stews, and chili.

Baby Lima Beans

Also called “butterbeans”, Baby Lima beans are small, smooth, and creamy with a rich, buttery texture. They’re starchier than other beans and are often used in soups, stews, succotash, and casseroles, or just cooked simply with herbs and spices. In the south, they’re often cooked with ham or bacon and served over rice.
  • #10 by ICIdaho on 13 Oct 2020
  • Looks like Ham and Bean soup to me.  That usually follows on the heals of a holiday where we had a big ham bone to cook down.  We cook the onions in also.
  • #11 by yorkdude on 13 Oct 2020
  • Any cornbread?
    Love ham and beans with butterey corn bread.
  • #12 by Bentley on 13 Oct 2020
  • Never really thought of it as soup.  Not as much liquid in it as it must appear, when you put it in a bowl, it is pretty much pinto beans and meat.  And my Mom would almost always have cornbread with this for my Dad!
  • #13 by GREG-B on 13 Oct 2020
  • There are so many varieties of beans for this dish.  Just depends on your taste buds.  My buddy has ham and red beans, we're more ham and baby white lima beans.  Nothin better on a cold fall or winter day. And yes corn bread.
  • #14 by Kristin Meredith on 13 Oct 2020
  • I never thought of this as ham and bean soup.  When Mom made ham and bean soup, it was navy beans and usually the bone from a leftover ham and a fair amount of chicken stock with some carrots and celery in there also..  The pinto beans (with some ham, not as much as Bent used and very little liquid) were served with chopped raw onions. Dad was in hog heaven.  I thought they were the worse thing on the face of the earth, but loved her bean soup!
  • #15 by Free Mr. Tony on 13 Oct 2020
  • I'd be in. Just made a similar dish fairly recently. The inspiration was a bunch of chopped smoked rib meat I had in the freezer.  I used that instead of the ham, and had it with my homemade cornbread.
Pages:
Actions