Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Oct 2020
  • Was watching "Pati's Mexican Table" on PBS last week.  Came into the show late.  She was in Hermosilla, Mexico -- capital of the Sonoran hot dog.  I don't know the name of the place she was at, so unfortunately can't give the owner credit for this dog.  It was a little different than a typical Sonoran dog.  Start with a big green chili, like an Anaheim.  Roast it, clean it and split it open down one seam.  Put a hot dog lengthwise down the chili and split the hot dog down the center.  Insert a stick of cheese -- I used cheddar.  Wrap the chili around the dog and cheese and then wrap in bacon.  Grill (I cheated, just grilled inside).  According to the cook, use a regular hot dog bun with mayo on both sides.  He then put all sorts of stuff on top -- some beans, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, more cheese, pickled jalapenos and bacon bits.  I kept mine simple, just some tomatoes.  If I had had guac would have put it on.  I really liked this dog.  Loved the roasted chili and surprised myself by liking the mayo and tomatoes.  It was a really fine "special" dog!!!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Oct 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Oct 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Oct 2020
  • That's interesting.  Probably something I could eat but would either leave with no condiments or top with a little BBQ sauce
  • #5 by pmillen on 14 Oct 2020
  • I'm doin' this!  Thanks for the idea.

I'll keep the condiments simple, too.  Maybe just cheese and tomato.  Maybe just salsa.
  • #6 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Oct 2020
  • Forgot, they did have all sorts of salsa you could add.  They claim the mayo is an integral component to the overall flavour.  Did not have one with and one without, so can't say.   But I did like the mayo and I am not a mayo person, so maybe it does add something.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Oct 2020
  • Some chipotle salsa may work for me
  • #8 by Bentley on 14 Oct 2020
  • I have not had mayo on a dog since I was 14, it worked on this.  If I did it again, I would lose the tomato on mine.  I think a tomato salsa would work, very fine, but the chunks of tomato did not do it for me!  My home made sweet relish did though!

• #9 by 02ebz06 on 14 Oct 2020
  • Muy Bueno!!!

Will have to give that a try.
    Thanks for posting...
  • #10 by okie smokie on 14 Oct 2020
  • Great, simple and would be great for family back yard picnic. Chips and brewskis.  :lick:
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 15 Oct 2020
  • That looks really good, I would have wanted some chopped onions and the tomato a little finer cut. I am one that likes mustard on dogs normally, but i do mayo at times instead with strange looks from people. Love ketchup on a burnt and blistered to a black crust over an open fire dog. One of the few things I eat ketchup on.

Thinking that would have went well in Bentley's deep fryer.
  • #12 by Canadian John on 15 Oct 2020

•  Something would be very wrong if that didn't superbly good.

• #13 by okie smokie on 15 Oct 2020
  • I would dump the tomatoes and add pickle relish and chopped onions. Having the tight crispy bacon is making my mouth water now.   :cool: :lick: :pig:
  • #14 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Oct 2020
  • Just saw the program again and the stand was "Dogos del Miami".  Want to give credit where credit is due!!!!
  • #15 by hughver on 16 Oct 2020
  • I don't do hot dogs, but that concoction looks delicious. Did you pre cook the bacon, it looks to be crisp.
Pages:
Actions