Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 17 Oct 2020
  • I just harvested all of the basil from my Aero Garden, replanted with cherry tomatoes and made pesto with the basil. I was looking on the internet for way to use it and came across lots of recommendations to use it on all types grilled meat. I've never even considered using it on meat, anyone here tried pesto on grilled meat?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Oct 2020
  • I wonder how close it is in flavor to chimichurri sauce.  Maybe give it a try in a small batch.
  • #3 by hughver on 17 Oct 2020
  • Will do. I tried it with a chicken/broccoli/mushroom casserole that I fixed for last nights supper and it added a very positive flavor dimension.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Oct 2020
  • I am curious to see your results.  Personally, I think I would like the Argentinian chimichurri recipe better, but I have never tried either.
  • #5 by Bentley on 17 Oct 2020
  • I am biased, I love the sauce so I think it would enhance anything it is put on!
  • #6 by Free Mr. Tony on 17 Oct 2020
  • Yes on grilled meat, especially chicken. Also, use as a pasta sauce. One of my favorites.
  • #7 by dk117 on 18 Oct 2020
  • I love it!   The last few years I've been working on chimichurri with tri tip.  This year like you, bumper crop of basil.   So I ended up with closer to pesto when all was said and done.   I still prefer the chimichurri, but the pesto went great on beef, decent on chicken thighs. 
  • #8 by Free Mr. Tony on 18 Oct 2020
  • Basil is always what I plant the most of I'm my herb garden. The last two years in particular the basil along gets ravaged by japanese beatles. They leave everything else alone.
  • #9 by hughver on 18 Oct 2020
  • My Aero Garden grew basil from seeds to harvestable leaves in about 28 days, follow on harvest take 12-17 days each. Each harvest yields about ~1 1/2 cups of packed leaves. My normal pesto recipe calls for 2 cups of leaves but spinach makes a great substitute to make up the difference and the recipe yield is ~8 oz.  I have around 32 oz's. of pesto in 4 oz. jars in the freezer so it was time to try cherry tomatoes. Needless to say that being indoors, I do not have a bug problem.
  • #10 by NorCal Smoker on 18 Oct 2020
  • I know this is not on meat, but......I have used as a pizza sauce instead of a red sauce. Lots of toppings go well with it. I like Mozzarella, zucchini, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. Sprinkled with oregano when done. Probably a CA thing, but really good.
  • #11 by Bentley on 18 Oct 2020
  • I would much prefer it over a red sauce for pizza!
  • #12 by bregent on 19 Oct 2020
  • It's great as a sandwich spread too.
  • #13 by NorCal Smoker on 19 Oct 2020
  • It's great as a sandwich spread too.

Agree 100%.
Pages:
Actions