• #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Oct 2020
  • 32° with 2 mph winds this morning.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Canadian John on 18 Oct 2020

•  That should end up absolutely scrumptious.
  • #3 by pmillen on 18 Oct 2020
  • How are you generating the smoke?

How low is the temperature you can maintain?
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Oct 2020
  • Smoke is generated from the MAK grill set at smoke ~175°.  The side chamber has stayed below 60°.  I did turn it up to 205° after 90 minutes as I didn't look like much smoke had generated so I am hoping to get some visible smoke on the cheese before I pull it off and bag it.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Oct 2020
  • old picture but you can see how the chamber sits on the side of the smoker and air comes out the side exhaust on the bottom right and goes up and out of the side chamber.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #6 by yorkdude on 18 Oct 2020
  • Love real smoked cheese but I destroy it every time.
    When we get a hankering for some we buy it.........then right after, throw it away, so bitter.
  • #7 by pmillen on 18 Oct 2020
  • I've not seen a better pellet pit for cold smoking (pit < 100°).

I tried the A-Maze-N tube but it made acrid smoke.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Oct 2020
  • Probably had it on for close to 3 hours before pulling it off and putting into brown paper bags and into the fridge to soak up some of the moisture before I vac seal them.  The picture is the chipotle gouda.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #9 by 02ebz06 on 18 Oct 2020
  • Looks great.   :clap:

Getting to that time of year for it.  Need to start getting some blocks of cheese.
    I've tried 3 hours before and didn't turn out well for me, was too long.

I have a CampChef vertical pellet smoker now with the Savannah Stoker controller.
    It has the ability to run fan only, so I can pump smoke in from external, and use the fan to circulate it.
    Will have to do some experimenting with small amounts of cheese until I get length of time right for this smoker.
    Probably take all winter.
  • #10 by NorCal Smoker on 19 Oct 2020
  • Cheese looks fantastic!  About to get a new MAK and wondering about the value proposition of the side smoker box. Thought it would be good for jerky, but cheese will work as well!  Thanks for posting.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Oct 2020
  • Cheese looks fantastic!  About to get a new MAK and wondering about the value proposition of the side smoker box. Thought it would be good for jerky, but cheese will work as well!  Thanks for posting.

You can make jerky in the main cabinet on smoke mode using some multi tier jerky racks without the side chamber.  In fact, when the main chamber is that low, you can't get the side chamber hot enough to cook the meat unless it is a very hot day.

I stack about 4 of these on top of each other without the pan.  I don't recall if we ever were able to get five high.  But, if you buy two sets, you can make two batches of three.  Each rack holds 1.0-1.5# of sliced meat depending on how thick you cut it.  The side chamber would be a decent holding location until you put it into a dehydrator.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-3-tier-jerky-rack-with-tray?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Google+Smart+Shopping+-+Catch+All+-+PLA_Generic&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvSU9Y7CWfNDHwVEfcSVZDd_-X_VD0J_ouGPtLO_TCblSnLo-yOlkDIaAkijEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • #12 by Bentley on 19 Oct 2020
  • Are they recipe interchangeable or are they recipe specific cheeses? Or are they simply used for the fruit & cheese try for the end of the meal?
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Oct 2020
  • I usually cut them up for a cheese tray for the holidays or I shred it to put into some meal, in a quesadilla, onto a sandwich, etc.  Nothing specific, just whatever I think it may taste good in.
  • #14 by BigDave83 on 20 Oct 2020
  • Love smoked cheese, I used to smoke some and seal up to hand out to certain customers. They loved it and usually asked for more the next time I did some.

That Mak is nice. I wish when I was buying I would have had the coin for one of them. It was one I really was looking at, but just couldn't budget it in.
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Oct 2020
  • That side chamber and front shelf were expensive upgrades, but I am glad that I have them.
Pages:
Actions