Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by yorkdude on 18 Oct 2020
  • This morning we went shopping and we had intended on buying some beef to grind.
    While looking we came across this. Kitchen Aid stayed clean and saved probably $40.00
    We could not resist .99 per pound.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Oct 2020
  • I would have bought about 20+ pounds at that price and froze it.
  • #3 by yorkdude on 18 Oct 2020
  • I would have bought about 20+ pounds at that price and froze it.
    It doesn’t show it but we bought 6 packages at between 2.5 & 3.0 #’s. Starting to truly run out of freezer space real estate
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Oct 2020
  • Great find!
  • #5 by ylr on 18 Oct 2020
  • Wow! If they didn't have a max purchase amount, I would've cleaned the case out! ;D
  • #6 by yorkdude on 18 Oct 2020
  • Wow! If they didn't have a max purchase amount, I would've cleaned the case out! ;D
    We bought every package that they had.
  • #7 by hughver on 18 Oct 2020
  • It looks like they may have marked it down because it was beyond its sell by date, but still a great buy.
  • #8 by Bentley on 18 Oct 2020
  • Ahh yes, another beef score that makes me happy for the Member, but angry that I can never find them!
  • #9 by yorkdude on 19 Oct 2020
  • It looks like they may have marked it down because it was beyond its sell by date, but still a great buy.
    Yeah, it was but not even a hint of any butcher brown anywhere.
  • #10 by 1MoreFord on 20 Oct 2020
  • Looking at the label I see Dillons which is Kroger in my area.

Many years ago Mom used to buy Ground Beef from Kroger on sale and freeze some of it.

Some of the stuff she cooked with ground beef was great and some of it tasted very nasty/funky.

It took me forever to drag it out of her but finally found out the good meal came from fresh GB and the nasty meal came from the frozen meat.

At that time Kroger was grinding ice with their GB and I alway thought this practice may have been the culprit but I never found out as she stopped buying and freezing GB from Kroger and I never started the practice.

I've happily eaten meals from frozen GB from other sources but never again from Kroger.
  • #11 by yorkdude on 20 Oct 2020

Many years ago Mom used to buy Ground Beef from Kroger on sale and freeze some of it.

Some of the stuff she cooked with ground beef was great and some of it tasted very nasty/funky.

It took me forever to drag it out of her but finally found out the good meal came from fresh GB and the nasty meal came from the frozen meat.

At that time Kroger was grinding ice with their GB and I alway thought this practice may have been the culprit but I never found out as she stopped buying and freezing GB from Kroger and I never started the practice.

I've happily eaten meals from frozen GB from other sources but never again from Kroger.
    When we don’t do our own we use theirs, fresh or frozen, we have never had anything close to what you described. I have no idea but I am pretty dang sure that they don’t use ice because we can see them doing the fresh?
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 20 Oct 2020
  • Looks like a great deal. Never see deals like that around here, for .99 you would get maybe 73% or roadkill.

we had a small market not far away that would run specials on whole sirloin tips/beef knuckle same thing I think, and we would have them grind a couple. it was always nice.
  • #13 by 1MoreFord on 20 Oct 2020

When we don’t do our own we use theirs, fresh or frozen, we have never had anything close to what you described. I have no idea but I am pretty dang sure that they don’t use ice because we can see them doing the fresh?

Glad that's the case in your area.

I had a face palm moment late last night(early this morning) when I realized I'd forgotten to congratulate you on your find.   

I was wanting to alert you in case your Dillon store grinds like the Kroger's near me.  I wouldn't want you to make one good meal and invite friends or family over only to find what I've seen from Kroger.

At the Kroger's around me most grinding is done out of sight.  The only grinding in sight is when you ask for an your choice of meat to be ground and there is one I wouldn't ask for that from since it's done out of sight.

I can tell the difference between the three Kroger's near me grind.  I notice it when cooking hamburger helper type casseroles, chili, or spaghetti sauce.  I don't have to drain fat off the 90/10 GB from the one nearest me.  I drain less from the other two than I do from the other grocery chains near me.  What's seen in the pan from the store near me looks more like water and mostly all evaporates!  For what reason???
Pages:
Actions