Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by GrillinGlen on 27 Sep 2017
  • I picked these up yesterday for .99 a pound from Freddies, never cooked them before.  Any help will be appreciated.  I'd like them to be as tender as possible.
  • #2 by Bentley on 27 Sep 2017
  • You can pretty much treat them like any other rib.  If you have never dealt with a beef back rib membrane, you are in for a treat...I swear there are 2, but I cant get the 2nd one off, so I just score them.  Those are extremely fingered, which for that price, I would expect.  As they cook, they are really gonna pull back.  I would try 275° membrane down. At the end of that time, try one, if they are not tender enough, 45 minutes in foil should finish them

• #3 by GrillinGlen on 27 Sep 2017
  • any guess as to length of time at that temp?
  • #4 by Bentley on 27 Sep 2017
  • Sorry, thought I put 3 hours!
  • #5 by Bobitis on 27 Sep 2017
  • That's what I see 70% of the time here at the local outlet. 25% of the time, the ribs are cut to the bone and suitable for dog knawing. 5% will get something with any appreciable meat on them worthy of cooking.

If I break that down according to my shopping habits, I'll buy some every couple of years or so. :(
  • #6 by GREG-B on 28 Sep 2017
  • Ocassionally Safeway has ribs that aren't scarfed of all their meat
  • #7 by TLK on 28 Sep 2017

That's it!?  I would have guessed longer (even though you are going at 275)
  • #8 by Free Mr. Tony on 28 Sep 2017

That's it!?  I would have guessed longer (even though you are going at 275)

When they look like those, there is not alot of meat to cook. They will end up with about 2 bites of meat on each rib. The beef back ribs don't cook that much different than St Louis cut pork ribs, and those are usually about 3 hours for me.
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Sep 2017
  • At $.99 per pound, almost better to roast and then make a good stock with them.
  • #10 by InThePitBBQ on 28 Sep 2017
  • I'd be all over those at .99 a pound for mushroom stew, coat them with Montreal Steak seasoning after you peel the membranes and I like to braise beef ribs in the smoker using a foil roasting pan with liquid about 1/3 of the way up for 3 hours turning them a few times.

With about 10 minutes to go sear some Portobello mushrooms to serve over the top of the ribs that have soaked in the braising liquid for an hour or so.

I cook them a bit hotter in the 325*-350* range to keep the braising broth hot enough to break down all the collagen in beef ribs so it's all nice and fork tender and that allows you every bite of what's on those bones.

I pour off the braising liquid into a pan on the stove, make a roux with a few spoonfuls of cornstarch and a cup of water and stir it in until you have a nice thick smoky beef mushroom gravy serve with slices of sourdough bread to round out the meal.

If you really want to go crazy add a big bowl of mashed taters shamelessly coated in butter, the gravy is awesome with them.
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #11 by LowSlowJoe on 28 Sep 2017
  • I would guess longer then 3 hours...  but , I'm not sure I've ever done ribs like the ones you have. The ones I've done have a lot more meat, and ... well they take MUCH longer than 3 hours...

In all honestly, I'm not a big fan of beef ribs.  Maybe if they were always at $0.99 / lb... I might be.  But I've never really seen any less then $5/lb... 
  • #12 by bregent on 28 Sep 2017
  • At $.99 per pound, almost better to roast and then make a good stock with them.

Yeah. When they get that cheap we use them to make beef and barley soup too.
  • #13 by okie smokie on 28 Sep 2017
  • Ocassionally Safeway has ribs that aren't scarfed of all their meat

Costco has them in their prime meat counter, and they are awesome. Not sure of the price however.  Will check it out.
  • #14 by Phrett on 28 Sep 2017
  • I did beef short ribs a few times.  Some were just soup bones, but I did have some very nice iones.  The cost was a bit more, however.

• #15 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Sep 2017
  • Those sure do look good Phrett.
Pages:
Actions