Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Oct 2020
  • The veg garden was problematic this year -- frost on May 20, then too much rain, then excessive heat and drought.  Stuff did not grow and produce as we hoped.  Then things started to get better in August and here we are at the end of October with a bounty of peppers!

So trying to figure out things to do with them.  Going through old recipes and found one called Chile Relleno Bake.  They call for store bought roasted chiles, but I have tons of fresh ones, so going to use those and use a mixture of Anaheim's, Poblanos and Jalapenos.  Bent will roast for me. Need to go to the store for a few items, so may not make until tomorrow.  Can't remember ever making this, but it is just roasted chiles, milk, eggs and lots of cheese, so how bad can it be eh? (Picture:  from left to right -- Green and red Anaheims, green and red poblanos and green jalapenos)

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Oct 2020
  • If you like stuffed jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon, I found them to be edible after vac sealing leftovers, freezing and then reheating in a toaster oven when I wanted a snack.
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Oct 2020
  • Good to know.  The plants in the garden are covered with jalapenos so good to know I can do something with them.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 21 Oct 2020
  • Here are some options...

• #5 by yorkdude on 21 Oct 2020
  • Well anyway, I posted the other day about the “Hermosillo dogs”, tried my hardest. Yep, nope. I am totally honest when I say the smell of them finished me. We ended up eating chili dogs. I couldn’t finish them.

• #6 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Oct 2020
  • yorkdude, did you not like the flavor of the poblano?
  • #7 by yorkdude on 21 Oct 2020
  • yorkdude, did you not like the flavor of the poblano?
    Oh mercy, the smell of them and truly any fresh peppers takes away my knees. I promise you that this time was not any different than lots of times I have tried my hardest to like them.
    Crazy as it sounds you can take the lid off the black pepper shaker and pass it to me......please. I even put it on butter and jelly toast, pancakes and syrup etc.
    Somehow fresh peppers just peel my paint? Not sure why.
  • #8 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Oct 2020
  • Phase 2 of the Chile Relleno Bake -- Bentley roasted all the chiles and left them to steam.  Then I got the lovely job of peeling off the charred/roasted skin and cleaning them.  They are now in the frig.  I will shop in the morning and bake tomorrow evening.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #9 by yorkdude on 21 Oct 2020
  • Phase 2 of the Chile Relleno Bake -- Bentley roasted all the chiles and left them to steam.  Then I got the lovely job of peeling off the charred/roasted skin and cleaning them.  They are now in the frig.  I will shop in the morning and bake tomorrow evening.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
    My hat is off to you.
  • #10 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Oct 2020
  • Experiment complete!  Layered the three types of chiles (Anaheim, Pablano and Jalapeno) then a layer of 4 Mexican cheese blend, another layer of chiles, another layer of cheese, then egg mixture and bake.

In the future, I would not use jalapenos because I would get one of those occasionally in eating the finished product and it was too hot for me.  But for the most part dish is very mild mild.  Flavour a bit on the bland side -- maybe just use sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack in the future.  Needs just a little kick. Could work as a main dish for a vegetarian and a side for any other meal.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Oct 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #12 by Bentley on 22 Oct 2020
  • To be honest, I was expecting more flavor.  The cheese was some what overwhelming. Although I ate it at room temperature and should have microwaved it.  I am not in tune with what a good vegetarian dish would be, but I would think this would go over well.  I would prefer the chili's diced in the dish!
Pages:
Actions