Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 22 Oct 2020
  • Anyone have any NON BBQ suggestions for dinner in Columbus, OH? 

I do know the hotel is 1 mile from Buckeye Donut, and I will be finishing the night off there!

• #2 by yorkdude on 22 Oct 2020
  • No suggestions on our end, which begs the question WHY? Oh man!
  • #3 by Bentley on 22 Oct 2020
  • We are just going on a short trip.  Will spend the 1st night in Columbus, then on to Tony Packo's in Toledo for lunch.  We were then going to head to Ft Wayne to see FMT and have some chili dogs, but alas, that did not work out this time.  Will head north after Packo's and see Trooper & his wife Bonnie and I am told maybe JD.  Has been over a year since the Panama Canal cruise and I need to get out!  Will probably head home through Detroit and have a Dog at American Coney Island & Lafayette Coney Island and that will be that.  The real trip is gonna be South Texas in January.  I plan on eating Tex-Mex and CFS the entire time in Texas!
  • #4 by Brushpopper on 23 Oct 2020
  • The real trip is gonna be South Texas in January.  I plan on eating Tex-Mex and CFS the entire time in Texas!

Where about are you going in South Texas, if I may ask?
  • #5 by Bentley on 23 Oct 2020
  • That one has not been completely charted out yet, but probably the Galveston and Padre Island area.
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Oct 2020
  • Do you stop and do any siteseeing on these trips or just go to eat different things?
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Oct 2020

• #8 by Bentley on 23 Oct 2020
  • It just depends.  This time it is just to get out of the house and see a friend.  On a trip like the one to Texas, will stop and see things, if there is anything noteworthy on the way.  We did a lot of traveling as part of vacations growing up, so have seen a lot of the US already!

Dirty Franks is only about 4 miles from the Hotel, so it might be a viable option!

Do you stop and do any siteseeing on these trips or just go to eat different things?
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Oct 2020
  • I know nothing about Dirty Frank's.  I did a search for places to eat in Columbus in that came up on a list.  The menu was interesting and had some things that I would want to try so I posted here.  If you go, let us know what you get and your thoughts.  I would like to try

Fire on the Rhine
    Maxwell St Special
    The CBJ Dog
    The Real Man
    Chili Dog
    Sauerkraut Dog
  • #10 by WiPelletHead on 23 Oct 2020
  • I know nothing about Dirty Frank's.  I did a search for places to eat in Columbus in that came up on a list.  The menu was interesting and had some things that I would want to try so I posted here.  If you go, let us know what you get and your thoughts.  I would like to try

Fire on the Rhine
    Maxwell St Special
    The CBJ Dog
    The Real Man
    Chili Dog
    Sauerkraut Dog

Those all sound good. I would add this one as the reviews are great. Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant https://www.schmidthaus.com/
  • #11 by elenis on 23 Oct 2020

Fire on the Rhine
    Maxwell St Special
    The CBJ Dog
    The Real Man
    Chili Dog
    Sauerkraut Dog

Working in downtown Columbus until the old Corona hit I have eaten at Dirty Franks quite a few times. It is pretty good. What kind of food genre's do you like Bentley so I can make a suggestion?
  • #12 by elenis on 23 Oct 2020
  • Thurman's Cafe or Schmidt's Sausage Haus are both good. If you like great burgers or German. Depending on genre your craving I can suggest others.
  • #13 by Bentley on 23 Oct 2020
  • List anything you think is note worthy!
  • #14 by elenis on 23 Oct 2020
  • I will list a few at a wide range of prices and types.
    So the 3 listed so far are all good for different reasons.

Cap City Fine Diner - Upscaled diner style food very nice a few locations.
    Tensuke Express- Japanese food, there is a decent Japanese population in Columbus and Tensuke Express is part of a Japanese Grocery Store. A number of little shops there as well. They have a nicer restaurant as well.
    PJ's - They refer to their stuff as drunk food. They make very unhealthy fat sandwiches and they are down on the OSU campus
    Rodizio Grill - If you want a Brazilian steak house.
    Just a few ideas off the top of my head.
  • #15 by jdmessner on 24 Oct 2020
  • I find it hard to actually recommend anything in that state to the south of us! However, I did spend a little time around Columbus a few years ago. Actually if the truth is to be told, there are some good folks and cool places to check out in that area.

I don't know if you are into bookstores, but there is probably the coolest one I have ever seen in the German Village called The Book Loft. It has over 32 rooms and more than 500,000 books. I have not eaten at the restaurants in the area, but I am told there is a lot of good German Food!

Safe travels and I hope to catch up with you when you hit north of the border!

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/unique-village-oh-german-village/

Pages:
Actions