Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 23 Oct 2020
  • I smoked another batch of this yesterday and this time we put pork chops in it.  It was the best yet.   
    I have tried it with ham, but the pork chops were much better.  I changed up the time from the original recipe by smoking it uncovered for two hours and then covered for three hours.  The pork chops fell apart and were very tasty.  My wife even ate more than she normally gets.  I don't think I can post the recipe on here or not.
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Oct 2020
  • Feel free to post the recipe and if it is someone else's, please feel free to give credit.  We just don't want a link to their site.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 23 Oct 2020
  • I don't know what they are but I came looking for pics.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Oct 2020
  • I didn't know what they were either, but after a Google search I am interested in making them.
  • #5 by reubenray on 23 Oct 2020
  • Here is the recipe and it is a HeyGrillHey recipe.  I used a foil pan instead of lining a pan.  Four pork chops where put on top of the first layer of potatoes.  I sliced the potatoes about an 1/8" thick.  The time before this time I used smoked cheese that I had smoked.  I did not have any to use this time.

Smoked Chantilly Potatoes

8 medium russet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch thick rounds
    3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
    2 cups heavy cream
    8 Tablespoons salted butter cut into thin slices
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

1. Start up your smoker and shoot for 225 degrees. I use a blend of hickory, maple, and cherry woods for the
    smoke.
    2. Line a 9x13 baking dish with heavy duty foil with enough extra foil hanging over the sides that you can fold the
    pieces together to completely seal during cooking. Layer in 1/3 of the sliced potatoes, sprinkle with some of the
    salt and pepper, and top with 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Repeat with a second layer of potatoes, salt,
    pepper, and cheese. Top with the final layer of potatoes, salt, pepper, and the remaining cheese.
    3. Pour the cream over the potatoes and top with the pads of butter.
    4. Set the pan on the grates of your smoker and smoke for 1 hour. Fold up the edges of the foil and crimp together
    to completely seal. Continue cooking the potatoes for 3 1/2 more hours at 225 degrees.
    5. Serve the potatoes warm straight from the foil lined pan for the full comfort food effect and enjoy!
  • #6 by ofelles on 23 Oct 2020
  • Recipe copied and will try.  thanks
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 23 Oct 2020
  • Very similar to Au Gratin Potatoes.
    Haven't had them in years.
    Will give this a try.
    Thanks for posting...
  • #8 by urnmor on 23 Oct 2020
  • I can already smell them on the grill what a great change to bake potatoes
  • #9 by reubenray on 23 Oct 2020
  • I have done these several times with good results.  But adding meat to them makes them even better.  I have been looking for another way to cook pork chops and I found it.
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 23 Oct 2020
  • Green Chilies would be a good addition.
  • #11 by Brushpopper on 24 Oct 2020
  • How big were the chops and were they bone in or boneless?  Our meat market has really thick chops and the grocery store has really thin ones.  That sounds really good and it's gluten free so I can eat it.
  • #12 by reubenray on 24 Oct 2020
  • How big were the chops and were they bone in or boneless?  Our meat market has really thick chops and the grocery store has really thin ones.  That sounds really good and it's gluten free so I can eat it.

The pork chops was the average thickness.  The bone was cut off of one to get them all to fit.  It all depends on the size of your pan.  We cut more potatoes that we could put in it.  I used the small half size steam foil pans from Sam's Club.
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 24 Oct 2020
  • Did you put the chops in the bottom, middle or lay on top.

My Mother used to put a small layer of stuffing or dressing, then lay the chops on and cover with the rest of the stuffing. Baked not sure how long and I never saw here use a thermometer on meat, but they always came out juicy. Not browned bu still were great.
  • #14 by reubenray on 25 Oct 2020
  • Did you put the chops in the bottom, middle or lay on top.

My Mother used to put a small layer of stuffing or dressing, then lay the chops on and cover with the rest of the stuffing. Baked not sure how long and I never saw here use a thermometer on meat, but they always came out juicy. Not browned bu still were great.

We put a layer of potatoes and cheese in first then the pork chops on top of them before adding the other layers of potatoes and cheese.
Pages:
Actions