Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Trooper on 24 Oct 2020
  • It's been a decent few years since I've had capon. Probably most of the younger folks aren't even familiar with the bird.
    They seem to have lost popularity and don't seem to be quite so available anymore.

Nonetheless, it will be a smaller gathering this year than in the past. A turkey will be overkill. I'm looking for something around seven pounds.     

If I locate capon, I'll probably do like just like other poultry. Right now I'm thinking that I won't brine. Just plop him/her on the Advantage and fire away.
    If you have any thoughts on this project, let me know.

Troop---

I searched in the directory under Capon. Nothing. Closest I would come up with was a hit for Al Capone
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 24 Oct 2020
  • Found this: 

"A capon is a special type of chicken created to make the meat more tender and less gamy. It is a rooster that has been castrated before reaching sexual maturity, which improves the quality of the meat; after that, it is fed a rich diet of milk or porridge. The lack of testosterone makes for a more tender, flavorful meat that is a delight compared to regular chicken. Unfortunately, in the United States today, it may be rare to see capon on a dinner menu or in the grocery store.

This poultry was once considered a luxury, and during the early part of the twentieth century, the capon was the chosen bird for Christmas feasts, especially for the wealthy. Working-class families saw capon as a rare treat because it was quite expensive."

So eating luxury birds now, eh Troop?  I have, very occasionally, seen capons in the grocery store -- maybe once every 4 years or so.  I did see an article saying that turkey producers are worried that they will have too many big birds for sale because gatherings will be a lot smaller this year.  Means I may be able to pick up several at a good price.  We have the vac sealer and freezer space and I love turkey, so can never have too much as far as I am concerned.

Good luck in your search!
  • #3 by urnmor on 24 Oct 2020
  • Very interesting So I had to read a little Way back when it was a Christmas dinner for the rich.  They say the meat is tastier than a chicken and or a Rooster due to its fat content and lack of aggressiveness.  As to cooking it can be braised or roasted similar to other birds.  I looked in a few of my cookbooks to include to James Beard and unfortunately did not find and specific reference to a capon.  I also looked in "Culinary Bird" and a few others and again did not see any reference So I would be curious to see what you find in your research.
  • #4 by Bentley on 24 Oct 2020
  • I don't use cookbooks very often, this surprises me, I would think a book I would consider dedicated to the group would have something.  As a "test", would you in it and tell me if they have anything on squab?

I also looked in "Culinary Bird" and a few others and again did not see any reference So I would be curious to see what you find in your research.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 24 Oct 2020
  • Trooper, nothing wrong with extra turkey.
    Great for sandwiches and turkey pot pie, or freeze in meal size portions for another day.
  • #6 by jdmessner on 24 Oct 2020
  • I knew you were a man of good taste. I see you can purchase them on line starting at $72 a bird! There was a farm selling them for $3.09 a pound, but you would need to drive to PA to pick it up!!

https://www.schiltzfoods.com/Minowa_Capons_p/wac.htm
  • #7 by urnmor on 24 Oct 2020
  • I don't use cookbooks very often, this surprises me, I would think a book I would consider dedicated to the group would have something.  As a "test", would you in it and tell me if they have anything on squab?

Squab and pigeon are both mention in the book under small birds
  • #8 by Bentley on 24 Oct 2020
  • Surprised that the book would have recipes for it, (see if you can find squab next time you are in market) but would not have anything on Capon.  Thanks for for doing this!
  • #9 by urnmor on 25 Oct 2020
  • Surprised that the book would have recipes for it, (see if you can find squab next time you are in market) but would not have anything on Capon.  Thanks for for doing this!

My butcher did have squab however I always felt the bird was to small so I stick with cornish hens and/chicken
  • #10 by Bentley on 25 Oct 2020
  • Butcher makes sense, not sure you are gonna find it in Safeway, Krogers or Vons!
  • #11 by Trooper on 19 Nov 2020
  • Picked up a Capon today at a butcher in Walker.  There were heavier ones in the freezer section, but settled on a 7.3 pounder.

It won't go in the pit on Thanksgiving and will do him/her somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I'll snap off photos for the occasion and update then.
  • #12 by Bentley on 19 Nov 2020
  • Since I have no idea, might I inquire as to the appx price per pound of the bird?
  • #13 by Trooper on 20 Nov 2020
  • 7.3 pounder  at $4.79/lb.
    something like $35.01 total.
  • #14 by Bentley on 20 Nov 2020
  • Not bad for butcher quality.  When you take pictures, would you take one of the fat for me!
  • #15 by BigDave83 on 20 Nov 2020
  • Not sure I have ever had one, but I do remember seeing them all the time in the freezers at the grocery store. I don't go shopping to larger grocery places often any more, I will have to have a look next time. From reading the description above I wonder if there is a huge difference in taste.

I remember a few years back, someone posted free range chickens on FB. They were  not far away and found out they would be coming to the farmers market even closer. I met here there and bought a 5 pound frozen free range chicken for 6 bucks a pound. The GF at the time thought I was crazy for spending $30 on a chicken. I think I just roasted it in the oven at the time. I asked her what she thought, it tastes like chicken was the response. I said no better or different? No pretty much like any other chicken you make. Sadly I had to agree with her.

SO I will be interested in your findings and thoughts on it also. Maybe i will look for one next time I go shopping.
Pages:
Actions