Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by jdmessner on 20 Nov 2020
  • I asked her what she thought, it tastes like chicken was the response. I said no better or different? No pretty much like any other chicken you make. Sadly I had to agree with her.

I had to laugh when I read that! It seems like we have gone full circle when chicken is described as tasting like chicken!! I had a friend who once talked about opening up a restaurant and calling it: "It Tastes Like Chicken". It would feature everything from frog legs, to alligator, to tofu. Of course the one thing he would not serve was chicken.
  • #17 by urnmor on 25 Nov 2020
  • I think the reason all chicken taste basically the same is they no longer use all the anti white ever in them.  Ok course the rubs help
  • #18 by elenis on 30 Nov 2020
  • Not sure I have ever had one, but I do remember seeing them all the time in the freezers at the grocery store. I don't go shopping to larger grocery places often any more, I will have to have a look next time. From reading the description above I wonder if there is a huge difference in taste.

I remember a few years back, someone posted free range chickens on FB. They were  not far away and found out they would be coming to the farmers market even closer. I met here there and bought a 5 pound frozen free range chicken for 6 bucks a pound. The GF at the time thought I was crazy for spending $30 on a chicken. I think I just roasted it in the oven at the time. I asked her what she thought, it tastes like chicken was the response. I said no better or different? No pretty much like any other chicken you make. Sadly I had to agree with her.

SO I will be interested in your findings and thoughts on it also. Maybe i will look for one next time I go shopping.

That has always been the problem for me with chicken, can spend a lot or a little and it tastes pretty much the same. You can season it or prepare it different ways and enjoy what you did to it, but doesn't really change the meat. We raise ducks for eggs and I am thinking of building a mobile pen next spring to raise some meat ducks. We can go to Rural King and when they have pekin ducks that are getting 3-4 weeks old they will sell them for 50 cents each. We would have 3 to 4 weeks of feed to get them to 7 weeks, which is the point they are the size they get slaughtered and there is a local Amish guy that will slaughter them for $2 or you can have him piece them out for $3. So maybe $5-6 dollars in for a duck.
  • #19 by Trooper on 01 Dec 2020
  • Well the capon remains in the freezer and I'll do him/her for Christmas eve dinner.

And I'll do it even though it'll probably taste a lot like chicken
    and also ribeyes tastes like ribeye.
    and turkeys taste like turkey
    and hot dogs taste like hot dogs.
    and on and on....
    aye?
Pages:
Actions