Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by urnmor on 29 Oct 2020
  • The "Saucing Pull Pork" thread got me to thinking about saucing ribs.  I have always sauced my ribs for about 15 to 20 minutes before taking them off the grill.  Now I am wondering how many serve them dry and let others sauce their ribs before eating?
  • #2 by Conumdrum on 29 Oct 2020
  • I like dry with the right rub.  Myself, I put a thin coat of sauce about 10 min before coming off the smoker.  They have that wonderful sheen and not a lot of sauc3 flavor.  Sauce on the side at my house. 
  • #3 by cookingjnj on 29 Oct 2020
  • My family likes sauced ribs, so I sauce my ribs about 30 mins before taking off the pit.
  • #4 by hughver on 29 Oct 2020
  • Again, I don't sauce. I'm sure I'll be labeled a Curmudgeon for this, but I like the flavor of properly prepared pork better than I do sauce. Some will say that the sauce complements the pork, I say that the sauce mask the flavor of the meat (maybe poorly prepared meat). I put ketchup on French fries because I don't like potatoes.   :o
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Oct 2020
  • I am a no sauce guy over 95% of the time.  Once every 5-10 years, I will put a sauce glaze on near the end if I think it is a sauce that I will really like that will be a very thin glaze.  I was taught in the Memphis school of dry rub only so that it was I have stuck with for 25 years.
  • #6 by keithj69 on 29 Oct 2020
  • Closest I get to saucing ribs is I mix apple juice and a vinegar based sauce that has been strained, into a spray bottle and spritz the ribs.
    No fixed ratio just whatever i feel the day of the cook.  The sauce I usually use is Williamson Brothers original.
  • #7 by Clonesmoker on 29 Oct 2020
  • I did some hot and fast St. Louis Style the other night. Lots of rub on them and 2 hours at 275. I then wrapped them tight in foil after adding some brown sugar, maple syrup and apple juice and let them go for another 1 1/2 hours at 270.  Did not need any sauce for them as they turned out great. Nice smoky pork flavor with a sweet and little heat (due to the cayenne in the rub) at the end.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 30 Oct 2020
  • See my note on the saucing pork thread.  Best think I ever did was to save the liquid from the foil wrapped ribs when I take them out to paint them. Then they go back on the grill for the commercial sauce to set. While they are "setting" I separate the fat from the liquid and baste the finished ribs with it. Also use some of the excess to put in zip lock with remaining ribs so they will not dry out when reheating.  (must admit tho we often eat the left overs cold--a little moist but better than dry.) Ribs are one thing I never get tired of doing, come rain or shine.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 30 Oct 2020
  • The GF likes sauce on the ribs, so I usually sauce most of the ribs. I can eat them either way if I make them. If I eat ribs out I always ask for it on the side just to dip in if I want.

We make our own sauce usually. But sometimes use store bought if we run out.
  • #10 by reubenray on 30 Oct 2020
  • I do an overnight rub plus I put on Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ about an hour before the ribs are done.  I don't like it too saucy, but my wife does and she adds some when eating.  Whenever we go to a restaurant and order ribs I get the sauce on the side.  But we very seldom go out for ribs anymore.
  • #11 by 1MoreFord on 31 Oct 2020
  • I would far rather have dry ribs than heavily sauced ribs.  My preference is a nice light glaze for another layer of flavor.  Sauce on the side for those who like more sauce.
  • #12 by David on 31 Oct 2020
  • I like sauce on my ribs
Pages:
Actions