Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Th3Batman86 on 26 Nov 2018
  • This year I did a spatchcocked for the Thanksgiving bird as I normally do. However, on Saturday, I did another bird and followed a technique that I have been wanting to try. I broke the whole bird down first. Separated breasts, thighs and legs, and wings and cooked them individually. No brine, just a quick SPG and then on the RecTec. Ran it hot at 375 to see what would happen. 1.5 hours later the dark meat was done, another 30 minutes and the breasts were good. Cooked the dark to 170 and the breasts to 165. Skin was nice and crispy, the fat underneath had rendered nicely and by breaking it down everything was evenly colored and cooked. 10/10 will break down next years turkey. Sorry no money shots. This was all cut up and put into freezer bags.

• #2 by pmillen on 26 Nov 2018
  • That looks like an excellent cook.

Turkey cooking times are a bit confusing to me this year.  My pit was preheated at 375°.  I put a brined, paper towel dried and cold butterflied 12-pounder on at 10:42.  It was at 160°/180° at 11:45.  An hour???

The pit and turkey temperatures were both verified with another device—they were close enough to be believed.

A disjointed turkey in your 375° pit took two hours.  Hmmmm.
  • #3 by Th3Batman86 on 26 Nov 2018
  • I agree with you that Turkey times are weird. The spatchcocked that I cooked on Thanksgiving day cooked at 300 in 2.5 hours. The turkey I had done two weeks before at 300 took four. So I told the wife four. Not sure what is going on. I check temps with a thermopen and know that my RecTec is good. I think its probably the solar winds from Jupiter :)
  • #4 by urnmor on 26 Nov 2018
  • very nice looking
  • #5 by triplebq on 26 Nov 2018
  • Looks  :lick:
  • #6 by Canadian John on 27 Nov 2018

•  Always nice to see someone try something different what ever it is or how it turns out.. Excellent pics and a tasty looking bird.
  • #7 by Th3Batman86 on 27 Nov 2018
  • Thank you all for the kind words. The little that I nibbled before I bagged it up tasted great. Not much smoke flavor at 375. I think next time I will use the amazn tube to up the smoke. Otherwise I definitely see this as a viable way to cook a bird in the future. If anyone wanted to know this was a little over 17lbs.
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 27 Nov 2018
  • https://pelletfan.com/I would be all over those wings, and the thighs. Heck I would eat it all who am I trying to kid.
  • #9 by Canadian John on 28 Nov 2018
  • Thank you all for the kind words. The little that I nibbled before I bagged it up tasted great. Not much smoke flavor at 375. I think next time I will use the amazn tube to up the smoke. Otherwise I definitely see this as a viable way to cook a bird in the future. If anyone wanted to know this was a little over 17lbs.
    For what is worth: I always "SMOKE" my poultry ( 180º to 225º range) for a good hour, then cook at 395º until done at 5º to 8º below the done temperature...Spatchcocked or pieces done skin down to retain moisture. They are exceptionally moist done like this..I do use  Memphis Dust all over just prior to smoking..
Pages:
Actions