Poll: What veggies, etc do you like in a turkey pot pie?

Peas
- 21 (21.2%)
Carrots
- 22 (22.2%)
Green beans
- 6 (6.1%)
Onions
- 17 (17.2%)
Potatoes
- 15 (15.2%)
Corn
- 17 (17.2%)
Other (note in comment section)
- 1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Nov 2020
  • I got a 23 lb turkey yesterday at the market for .99 cents per pound, so decided to just throw in the oven this morning and cook it up -- no brine, no smoke, nothing elaborate in prep.  Just wanted to cook it for the meat for fresh turkey sandwiches and turkey pot pie.  So wondering what everyone likes in their turkey, or chicken, pot pies.  Mine is kind of simple.  The turkey and gravy and pastry of course, but my other ingredients are usually, peas, carrots and cooked onions.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 03 Nov 2020
  • Everything except the green beans.
  • #3 by SmokinHandyman on 03 Nov 2020
  • Maybe add some garlic
  • #4 by hughver on 03 Nov 2020
  • Maybe add some garlic

Absolutely, and some mushrooms, diced tomato and baby butter beans. Almost any vegetable except potatoes, IMO, crust provides plenty of starch.
  • #5 by pmillen on 03 Nov 2020
  • The only TPP I've ever had was from my grocer's frozen food section.  I was trying to visualize what's in there and I voted for peas, carrots & onions.  I think I'd like almost any other vegetable in there.  (Well, maybe not okra.)
  • #6 by Free Mr. Tony on 03 Nov 2020
  • Carrots, celery, onion, thyme and mushrooms.  I like to roast all the veggies in the oven first then add to the gravy.
  • #7 by cookingjnj on 03 Nov 2020
  • Peas, carrots and onions for me.  Although, I have never made one myself, always store bought.  The Dutch Market in the area makes a great CPP, never had their TPP or even really looked for it.
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 03 Nov 2020
  • No beans for me, but everything else plus some mushroom and celery
  • #9 by SmokinHandyman on 03 Nov 2020
  • Maybe add some garlic

Absolutely, and some mushrooms, diced tomato and baby butter beans. Almost any vegetable except potatoes, IMO, crust provides plenty of starch.

Hugh you nailed it. the diced tomatoes would have to have some green chilis in them.
  • #10 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Nov 2020
  • Turkey cook, part deux -- turkey pot pie.  Cooked and stripped the turkey the other day and made gravy with the drippings.  Then today made the pot pie.  First, chopped up dark and white meat into bite sized chunks and into the bowl.  Next, a mixture of veggies -- carrots, peas, corn and a few green beans.  Then mixed the gravy in and into the casserole dish.  Finally, in a twist from the normal pot pie (inspired by a recent discussion with a friend about Thanksgiving dressing), I decided to make a dressing top instead of pastry.  I did a semi-homemade move -- cooked cornbread and sauteed onions and celery and added all that to some Stove Top dressing. Now, it will just wait until dinner time when I will pop in the oven for a bit to heat and also crisp up the topping. Still have turkey leftover for sandwiches and soup!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Nov 2020
  • Looking good.  Can wait to hear how it tastes.
  • #12 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Nov 2020
  • I thought it tasted really good.  Very packed with meat and veggies and not just gloopy gravy.  I had some cranberry sauce with it and it was Thanksgiving in a bowl!

Bent made his own small version.  He used my mini-cheesecake pans;  put dressing on the bottom and side, filled and then topped with more dressing and baked.  They were also very good, but the ratio of dressing to filling was pretty high.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Nov 2020
  • those look great
  • #14 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2020
  • I never cared for Pot Pies just because of the pastry.  I will be making more of these.  I did not have enough dressing, and the fact that the onion and celery in the dressing was such large chunks, it did not allow for the clay consistency I was looking for.  Will get more dressing and will use the food processor to ultra fine mince the celery and onions before they are sautéed and then incorporated into the dressing!  Will also need a slightly larger baking vessel!
  • #15 by smokin soon on 06 Nov 2020
  • Could you pre-bake a shell first and then add filing and a top crust?
Pages:
Actions