Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salty Ham Help  (Read 250 times)

JBsuperG

• Using less gas.
Salty Ham Help
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:17:11 PM »

Hello Everybody...  It has been quite some time since I have been on the pellet fans forum.  I hope it is still going strong.  It has always been a big source of help and information.

This year we decided to raise a couple pigs with our neighbors.  We wanted to experience our food from the farm to the table doing everything ourselves.  So far it has been a fun experience.  The raising of the pigs and the processing has gone very smoothly.

A couple weekends ago we butchered them and started the process of wet curing the hams.  We cured a whole hind quarter off each of the pigs.  We used a basic wet cure.  I injected the thicker areas of the hams to be sure the hams cured all the way through.  They were in the wet cure for 7 days.  Today I smoked them at 220 degrees to an internal temp of 150*. 

They taste pretty good, but are definitely on the saltier side for me.  I am a little frustrated with myself because this is not my first time making hams and I KNOW I should have cooked up a small piece before I smoked them to check the salt level, and let the soak in water if too salty.  I was busy and skipped that step. 

So my question is.....  Can I soak the hams in fresh water now even though they have been cooked?

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions!!!!!!

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Re: Salty Ham Help
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 07:56:59 AM »

To be honest with you I have no idea however I would take various slice sizes and soak them in cold water at various times and see if that helps.  That sai I would be concerned that the soaking might make the ham mushy

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA

JBsuperG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »

Thanks guys.  I did do a search yesterday on the internet, but did not come up with the same hits.  A couple of those do make me feel comfortable with the idea.  I will give it a shot.  I think I will freeze it and wait until I cook it for Christmas.

Thanks for the help.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 01:03:32 PM »

I've always felt that freezing ham makes it saltier.???
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up