Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brisket Time  (Read 294 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Brisket Time
« on: November 04, 2020, 01:58:50 PM »

I'm having company over Saturday and one of the participants requested brisket, since there was none in the freezer, it's  time to buy brisket. I found a 19+ lb. one a the local Fry's market for $2.49/lb. I separated the point from the flat and remover all visible fat. This time I'm going to reverse my normal season/smoke/SV process and season, sous vide (@134° for 48 hours), refrigerate over night and then smoke at 180° to an IT of 132°.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Brisket Time
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 02:18:09 PM »

Did you create your own vac seal bag from a roll for the flat?  I have never done that as I have been buying already cut bags.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »

Yes, I have a roll of 11.5" bag stock, it was too large for my normal bags. I'll have to say, that is the largest flat that I've ever done.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »

The brisket will come out of the sous vide at 11:00AM tomorrow morning, I'll dry, season it and refrigerate until ready to smoke on Saturday. Now I have a couple of questions for the group. I've done a number of briskets but I don't have a rub that I'm particularly in love with, anyone have a rub recommendation (commercial or DYI) that they think is outstanding. The 6-8 lb. flat (just guessing, I did not weigh it) will go from the refrigerator to the Traeger set to XXX° until the IT is 132°, what should XXX° be and how long do you think it will take at that IT temperature?  :help:

My current thinking is to leave the point in the sous vide an additional 6 hours, season and refrigerate. After that, I have no plan and could use some ideas. How about cubing and having  medium rare burnt ends.  ;D

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »

You have Tried Montreal Steak and Pappys Prime Rib?  Susie-Q rub is great too, but you have no time to get it!  Unless...You have Amazon Prime!  I guess even that would not work!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

ezgoin

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »

The best I've ever found was Texas BBW Rub.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/shopping.html

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »

3 tablespoons coarse salt
3 tablespoons chile powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 09:40:04 AM »

Consider applying Worcestershire sauce for a binder, then rub first with Kosmos Texas Beef and top it with your favorite SPG.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »

Great idea Hugh!  I will be following this one as I just don't see myself babysitting a brisket in the smoker for the time required. 

Thanks.   :clap:
Pages: [1]   Go Up