Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Nov 2020
  • Special treat tonight -- T-Bone Steak!  We really don't eat much steak, but I saw this on sale for $7.95 a pound and could not resist.  It was big enough that one could be split between us.  Bent cooked on Memphis Pro and did a beautiful job. Can't believe people don't think pellet pits can char and grill.  Sauteed mushrooms and baked potato with butter and sour cream.  Definitely not a low cal meal, but a real treat!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Nov 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Nov 2020
  • I could eat that 4-5 nights a week.
  • #4 by urnmor on 04 Nov 2020
  • very nice as always and some great grill marks
  • #5 by pmillen on 04 Nov 2020
  • Please pass that plate to me.
  • #6 by yorkdude on 05 Nov 2020
  • Looks great.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 05 Nov 2020
  • I could eat that 4-5 nights a week.

I am with you on that one. I love a good steak.

Tbone?

I would think that would be more Porterhouse with the size of the fillet left on there. Either way it looks great, with the baked tater and mushrooms. The only thing that could improve on that would be a nice frosted mug of Yuengling, or a room temp bottle of Yuengling.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Nov 2020
  • Yes, a nice looking porterhouse.  My favorite steak cut.  What grocery store did you buy them at?  I may need to look for them as I drive thru VA in a few weeks.
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Nov 2020
  • Yes, a nice looking porterhouse.  My favorite steak cut.  What grocery store did you buy them at?  I may need to look for them as I drive thru VA in a few weeks.

Bent said the fillet would have had to be bigger and thicker to be a true porterhouse.  I bought it at our local Martin's which is part of the Giant food chain.
  • #10 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2020
  • It was not as traditional a T-bone in the "bone" sense.  The bone did not run all the ay down the Strip, and the filet was not as pronounced looking as it appears in the picture.  A true Porterhouse to me is not only a larger cut of the filet, but also a thicker cut, usually in the 18-24oz size of steak!

Now that's a Porterhouse!

• #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Nov 2020
  • I believe the porterhouse is where the fillet is the widest.  Thickness is a preference of the butcher but not a distinction of t-bone versus porterhouse.  As the fillet tapers down, it starts to become a t-bone steak.
  • #12 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2020
  • Yes and no on thickness.  You are right concerning where it comes from, but I think most butchers would say a Porterhouse should be at least 1 1/2 inches thick!
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Nov 2020
  • Yes and no on thickness.  You are right concerning where it comes from, but I think most butchers would say a Porterhouse should be at least 1 1/2 inches thick!

I usually try to buy ones that are about 1.5#
  • #14 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2020
  • I used to love the ones on Travel Channel when they would do the steakhouse shows.  They showed one at Peter Luger's and it had to be a 2 1/2 to 3lb Porterhouse, but I guess for $115 it should be.  I believe it was for 2, but just a huge steak.  I guess it is the reason they start them under a 1800° broiler and then finish in the oven!
  • #15 by pmillen on 06 Nov 2020
  • That photograph that Bentley posted is the best looking Porterhouse I've seen.  And I watched my dad cut a lot of them.  (He sawed the bone by hand.)

He used to say that there are only two Porterhouse steaks on a side of beef.  (I think it was per side and not per carcass.)

Have any of you cooked one like a roast?
Pages:
Actions