Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: T-Bone on the Memphis Pro  (Read 823 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: T-Bone on the Memphis Pro
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 10:07:58 AM »

I have maybe seen a short loin section on TV, but I do not think I have ever seen a full roast anywhere for sale.  $400 hunk of meat I guess?

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 12:42:58 PM »

I was thinking that the 2-inch Porterhouse in your photograph looked about the same size as some beef roasts I've cooked.  So I was wondering what that would be like roasted (probably hotter and faster than many roasts).
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

MustangBob

• Using less gas.
T-Bone vs. Porterhouse Tradeoffs
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 01:41:09 PM »

I know that a lot of people (including butchers) frequently 'praise' the porterhouse steak as superior to the T-bone.  It's true the width of the tenderloin portion is wider on the porterhouse (technically at least 1.5 inches wide) -- that's great if you're only concerned about the 'size' of the filet portion.  But there are two sides to these compound steaks, separated by that transverse process of a lumbar vertebra bone.  What about the 'quality' of the loin meat side (strip steak side)?

Usually there's a bit of a tradeoff in the 'quality' of the strip loin portion of the porterhouse compared to strip loin portion of the T-bone.

Here's why. When looking at a complete 'short loin subprimal,' the tenderloin muscle (Psoas Major) gradually increases in diameter from the front of the short loin toward the rear.  Hence, T-bone steaks are cut toward the front of the short loin and porterhouse steaks are cut toward the rear of the short loin.

That strip loin portion is not 'homogeneous" from the front of the short loin to the rear.  In fact, as you progress toward the rear, there are ribbons of connective tissue that appear woven into the strip loin muscle which are extremely chewy to eat unless cooked for long periods of time.  If cooked rare or medium-rare like a typical steak, this gristle component does not have sufficient heat & time to break down.  In other words, the texture of the strip loin portion of a porterhouse steak is a little less desirable to me than the texture of the strip loin portion of a T-bone.  That's the tradeoff you're giving up for that wider portion of tenderloin on the porterhouse steak. Some people gladly accept that.

My preference is a 'center cut T-bone' which has a decent width of tenderloin but is cut far enough forward on the short loin to have a more uniform strip loin texture without a lot of gristle.

You can see this quality difference in the strip loin portion by looking closely at a raw T-bone vs. a raw porterhouse steak.  It's important to distinguish between internal 'marbling' (a good thing) versus ribbons of connective tissue & gristle when observing a raw steak. They both may appear white. But there's more connective tissue (gristle) residing in a porterhouse steak than in a T-bone steak. 

In my opinion, 'quality' is more important than 'size,' although I'm well aware that others disagree :)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 02:52:55 PM »

I saw what you are discussing on one of those Alton Brown episodes.  He actually displayed every cut of the T-bone/Porterhouse on the cow.  I think there was 6-8 or so of them or maybe slightly more.  You could clearly see that connective tissue growing on the NY strip side in the photos.  If I recall, there were 1-2 "perfect" porterhouse/t-bone steaks on the entire cow because of what you discussed.  I had forgot about that until you mentioned it.

A little over a minute into the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LT7Ks13znE.  Bentley, you can delete the video if it is not appropriate.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:54:38 PM by Bar-B-Lew »
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up