Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Next Project, Tenderloin  (Read 712 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Next Project, Tenderloin
« on: November 06, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »

A local market had a one-day-only sale on whole tenderloins (limit two) that I could not resist. They have a pull date of 11/10 but I'll not have a problem processing them by then. Since they do not have an FDA stamp, I assume that they are select grade or worst. More to come as I decide what to do with them.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Next Project, Tenderloin
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »

I would have bought two of them too.  If freezer space was available, I probably would have had my wife buy two as well.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:48:02 PM »

I think I'd cook the first one as though it were Choice or Prime.  In the worst circumstance, it'll slice thin and be super lunch meat or French Dip.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 12:58:12 PM »

Gordon Foods here in Michigan was selling whole tenderloins awhile back that were from
cow or heifer at a very reasonable price.
Don't know why those in your market should be so inexpensive.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 01:22:11 PM »

The Pioneer Woman's husband would cook those on a Santa Maria grill, but he would put in the large aluminum pans with a stick or two of butter and lemon-pepper seasoning.  Always wondered how those would taste.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 01:45:39 PM »

Who gets Tenderloin for less then $6/lb., not me!  I not sure with Tenderloin that Grade makes that much difference.  I just can't imagine that they will not be tender, might be lacking a tad of flavor if the marbling is not there, but that cut begs for a sauce anyway!  That's $180 worth of meat at Costco!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 01:47:10 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 01:53:03 PM »

Unfortunately, due to back problems, I don't get around much anymore so my wife bought them. I just sent her back for two more and requested that she ask the butcher what the grade might be. I thought that all packaged meat had to have an FDA inspection stamp. Update: My wife was able to procure two more and the butcher told her that they were Select.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 02:08:39 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 03:00:00 PM »

Thanks Hugh. 
I totally forgot today was Friday.  Those will make a few good fillets, sandwiches and burgers.  I hope the pork steaks are good, I need to make a batch of Tasso.   :cool:

goin shoppin now   :clap:

hughver

urnmor

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 02:39:01 PM »

Unfortunately, due to back problems, I don't get around much anymore so my wife bought them. I just sent her back for two more and requested that she ask the butcher what the grade might be. I thought that all packaged meat had to have an FDA inspection stamp. Update: My wife was able to procure two more and the butcher told her that they were Select.

I have not researched this in awhile however I do not believe an FDA stamp is required on all beef products.  If my memory serves me ell I now believe many of the food chains are grading their own meat and in fact do not use prime, choice or select.  Others may have better info on this

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 03:24:04 PM »

US Beef has to be inspected, but Grading is voluntary!

There are 8 grades of beef, of which the average consumer will usually encounter in various degrees.  We know Select, Choice, & Prime, and in the last 5 years I have seen this Standard at Restaurant Depot.  But then there is Commercial, Utility, Cutter & Canner.  Those are the 4 I have always wondered about.  I am going to assume Dinty Moore Beef Stew has one of those grades, but I have no idea what other things might be used.  Hot Dogs, frozen burritos, Swanson Salisbury Steak, Stoffers Lasagna...?

You are sous vide cooking it right?  The cooking is done, everything after the sous vide is just window dressing in my mind!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 10:19:06 PM »

Smoking from cold meat after sous vide imparts a distinctive smoke flavor. The brisket that I did yesterday using that scenario had a great smoke flavor. I think that the key is to start the smoking process with very cold meat and smoke at low pit temperature until ready to eat or IT reaches desires temperature. My 5-7 lb. brisket flat smoked at 150° for about an hour reached 90°, which was not fast enough for our planned dinner. I just cranked the pit up to 300°, meat reached 132° in about 35 minutes, just in time for supper.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 09:04:05 AM »

Smoking from cold meat after sous vide imparts a distinctive smoke flavor. The brisket that I did yesterday using that scenario had a great smoke flavor.

That's been my method for a few years.  However, I was recently advised (on PF) to try smoking first.  I have a tri-tip SVing right now so it won't be this time.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 10:09:12 AM »

Until recently, I always smoked first, but when I did cross rib roast a few weeks ago, I decided to give the reverse method a try. The results were very good so I did the brisket that way and am going to do these tenderloin roast the same. The jury is still out as to which is better but initially my impression was that the smoke flavor was a bit more pronounced with the sous vide first.

hughver

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 01:11:31 PM »

Update: I had some trimming scraps left over so I cut them into stew meat, sous vide for 3+ hours at 133° and added them to the remaining ingredients. The meat taste alright but was some what chewy, which caused me to become suspicious of my overall plan for the rest of the meat. Last Tuesday I decided to experiment with one of the roast that I had previously sous vide and frozen. I sous vide it again to thaw for 3 hours and seared with a torch. As with the stew meat, the taste was actually better than I expected but the texture was still chewy. I've taken the left over chunk of roast, cut it in two, resealed and put them back in the sous vide. I'll try one at after 12 more hours and the other at 24 hours to see what the impact is on both flavor and texture.        ???
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up