Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 04 Nov 2020
  • I'm having company over Saturday and one of the participants requested brisket, since there was none in the freezer, it's  time to buy brisket. I found a 19+ lb. one a the local Fry's market for $2.49/lb. I separated the point from the flat and remover all visible fat. This time I'm going to reverse my normal season/smoke/SV process and season, sous vide (@134° for 48 hours), refrigerate over night and then smoke at 180° to an IT of 132°.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Nov 2020
  • Did you create your own vac seal bag from a roll for the flat?  I have never done that as I have been buying already cut bags.
  • #3 by hughver on 04 Nov 2020
  • Yes, I have a roll of 11.5" bag stock, it was too large for my normal bags. I'll have to say, that is the largest flat that I've ever done.
  • #4 by hughver on 05 Nov 2020
  • The brisket will come out of the sous vide at 11:00AM tomorrow morning, I'll dry, season it and refrigerate until ready to smoke on Saturday. Now I have a couple of questions for the group. I've done a number of briskets but I don't have a rub that I'm particularly in love with, anyone have a rub recommendation (commercial or DYI) that they think is outstanding. The 6-8 lb. flat (just guessing, I did not weigh it) will go from the refrigerator to the Traeger set to XXX° until the IT is 132°, what should XXX° be and how long do you think it will take at that IT temperature?  :help:

My current thinking is to leave the point in the sous vide an additional 6 hours, season and refrigerate. After that, I have no plan and could use some ideas. How about cubing and having  medium rare burnt ends.  ;D
  • #5 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2020
  • You have Tried Montreal Steak and Pappys Prime Rib?  Susie-Q rub is great too, but you have no time to get it!  Unless...You have Amazon Prime!  I guess even that would not work!
  • #6 by ezgoin on 05 Nov 2020
  • The best I've ever found was Texas BBW Rub.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/shopping.html
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Nov 2020
  • 3 tablespoons coarse salt
    3 tablespoons chile powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin
  • #8 by pmillen on 06 Nov 2020
  • Consider applying Worcestershire sauce for a binder, then rub first with Kosmos Texas Beef and top it with your favorite SPG.
  • #9 by Darwin on 06 Nov 2020
  • Great idea Hugh!  I will be following this one as I just don't see myself babysitting a brisket in the smoker for the time required. 

Thanks.   :clap:
Pages:
Actions