Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 07 Nov 2020
  • My cousin gave me a frozen whole fryer size chicken. It is thawing in the fridge. i want to do it up tomorrow.

Looking for something other than the normal, beer can, spatchcock type of cook.

I think the weather is to be nice tomorrow here low 70's which is warm for this time of year. So it could be done out side in the pellet cooker or the gas grill. Also try to keep in mind I have a very picky eater of a GF. Would like to keep whole but am not against cutting it up. I had thought about cutting in half and maybe even deep frying it.

So that is your mission should you choose to accept it. This message will not self destruct but may be deleted should it be deemed necessary.

Thank you.
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 07 Nov 2020
  • Do you have a Rotisserie for the gasser?
    That would be an option for keeping it whole.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 07 Nov 2020

Sadly no, but I do have a George Forman rotisserie. I hadn't thought about it. I used to make whole duck in it all the time. Thanks.
  • #4 by yorkdude on 07 Nov 2020

Sadly no, but I do have a George Forman rotisserie. I hadn't thought about it. I used to make whole duck in it all the time. Thanks.
    We have a George Foreman and if you ask us, they make it superb.
  • #5 by Conumdrum on 07 Nov 2020
  • Try something from outside the borders of America.

Mediterranean style, Greek style, even Chicken Cacciatore.

I make a very good Miso (Japan) baked chicken, and I do like all 3 of the above.

The Internet is at our fingertips.  So is the TV show Milk Street, wonderful easy dished adapted to our american ways.

• #6 by Kristin Meredith on 07 Nov 2020
  • Julia Child's Roast Chicken

(sounds complicated, but more about being a bit time consuming than complicated)

Ingredients

2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
    ⅓ cup carrots (finely diced)
    ⅓ cup onion (finely diced)
    ⅓ cup celery (finely diced)
    1 teaspoon thyme, savory or mixed herbs, or 2 fresh thyme or savory sprigs (or even rosemary if you prefer)
    1 chicken (3 /2 to 4 pounds)
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    Parsley stems
    Celery leaves
    6 slices lemon (1/8-inch-thick)
    ½ cup onion (sliced)
    ½ cup carrots (sliced)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
    ¾ cup chicken stock or broth

Directions

Step 1
    Preheat the oven(or pit!!) to 425 degrees. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet. Add the diced carrots, onion and celery and cook over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the herbs.

Step 2
    Wash the chicken rapidly inside and out with hot water and pat thoroughly dry.  Pull the neck skin up over the breast and secure it to the back with a toothpick. Salt and pepper the cavity and spoon in the cooked vegetables, a handful of parsley stems and celery leaves and the lemon slices. Massage the chicken all over with 1 tablespoon of the butter, then truss it. Alternatively, tie the ends of the drumsticks together and tuck the wings under the body.

Step 3
    Choose a flameproof roasting pan that is about 1 inch larger than the chicken. Salt the chicken all over and set it breast up on a rack in the pan.

Step 4
    Roast the chicken in the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, as follows:At 15 minutes Brush the chicken with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Scatter the sliced onion and carrot all around. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.At 45 minutes Brush the lemon juice over the chicken. If necessary, add 1/2 cup of water to the vegetables to prevent burning.At 60 minutes Baste with the pan juices. Test for doneness: The drumsticks should move easily in their sockets; their flesh should feel somewhat soft. If not, continue roasting, basting and testing every 7 to 8 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees.

Step 5
    Spear the chicken through the shoulders; lift to drain; if the last of the juices run clear yellow, the chicken is done. Let rest on a carving board for 15 minutes; discard the string.

Step 6
    Spoon all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the juices in the pan. Add the stock and boil until lightly syrupy, 5 minutes. Strain; you will have just enough to bathe each serving with a fragrant spoonful.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 07 Nov 2020
  • Try something from outside the borders of America.

Mediterranean style, Greek style, even Chicken Cacciatore.

I make a very good Miso (Japan) baked chicken, and I do like all 3 of the above.

The Internet is at our fingertips.  So is the TV show Milk Street, wonderful easy dished adapted to our american ways.

I looked at some of these. I have never had Miso or know what it is flavor wise. but the one recipe I saw did seem like it may be good if I found Miso paste. The Greek, and Med. style not sure. I like lemon but no so much in a savory dish. I hate lemon pepper. So I could figure something out to sub for it or maybe just cut it back I would try some of those probably.

The roasted chicken looks like it may be a good choice also, again, probably sans lemon.

I am going out in a little I may try to find the miso paste and rice vinegar, i don't think I have any of it.

I may end up giving her the options and lave her choose. Thank you all so far for the ideas.
  • #8 by urnmor on 07 Nov 2020
  • s your GF is a picky eater is tough to recommend a recipe without more specifics.  IMO it is not so much how you cook it as to what you add to it that makes it.   I often put various rubs on them or even place lime or oranges in the cavity and under the skin for flavor. You can as other have said cut into pieces and work from there to include making fried chicken.  In any case I would dry brine it in salt and pepper both in the cavity, under dnd on top of the skin overnight.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 07 Nov 2020
  • well, the problem I have is she doesn't like anything different. I can make chuck roast and she will eat it but would not  eat brisket. when I used to bake more stuff I would  make brownies and sometimes add some cinnamon or cayenne pepper. Just to add a bit of extra flavor. I had not done that in quite a while. I made brownies the other day and added cinnamon. She was all excited she got brownies, she has  serious sweet tooth. One bite I saw her face she looks at me and said did you put cinnamon in these and why would you do that. Because it was not the taste she was expecting she was done it was  no good. No veggies to speak of, would rather have hamburger than steak, loves chicken but not so much if it has the bone in it. Fish has to be breaded like haddock or fish sticks, I did get her to eat a tuna steak, it is okay but I don't want it to often.  Won't eat hot sauce but will eat a hot wing or two and will eat sriracha sauce. A good meal out is Burger King or McDonalds to her. A salad is iceberg lettuce, no other kind, and a couple pieces of onion and a cup of ranch dressing and half a cup of shredded cheese. Orange not white, and pizza can't have orange cheese only white.

On the way home tonight we were talking and lasagna came up, I told her how I make it and her response was that is not the way my mom made it and the way I make it. I said well I won't be making lasagna.

It is looking like the rotisserie right now.
  • #10 by urnmor on 07 Nov 2020
  • well, the problem I have is she doesn't like anything different. I can make chuck roast and she will eat it but would not  eat brisket. when I used to bake more stuff I would  make brownies and sometimes add some cinnamon or cayenne pepper. Just to add a bit of extra flavor. I had not done that in quite a while. I made brownies the other day and added cinnamon. She was all excited she got brownies, she has  serious sweet tooth. One bite I saw her face she looks at me and said did you put cinnamon in these and why would you do that. Because it was not the taste she was expecting she was done it was  no good. No veggies to speak of, would rather have hamburger than steak, loves chicken but not so much if it has the bone in it. Fish has to be breaded like haddock or fish sticks, I did get her to eat a tuna steak, it is okay but I don't want it to often.  Won't eat hot sauce but will eat a hot wing or two and will eat sriracha sauce. A good meal out is Burger King or McDonalds to her. A salad is iceberg lettuce, no other kind, and a couple pieces of onion and a cup of ranch dressing and half a cup of shredded cheese. Orange not white, and pizza can't have orange cheese only white.

On the way home tonight we were talking and lasagna came up, I told her how I make it and her response was that is not the way my mom made it and the way I make it. I said well I won't be making lasagna.

You clearly have a food challenge. Now my recommendation is you are going to have develop her taste buds gradually.  That what I had to do when I started making all of the meals.  Now somethings I cannot change like steel oats for breakfast.  I have been able to have her branch out at dinner time however it took me awhile and I had to mix sweet with the spices etc.   

In any case what ever you make will be great.
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 07 Nov 2020

You clearly have a food challenge. Now my recommendation is you are going to have develop her taste buds gradually.  That what I had to do when I started making all of the meals.  Now somethings I cannot change like steel oats for breakfast.  I have been able to have her branch out at dinner time however it took me awhile and I had to mix sweet with the spices etc.   

In any case what ever you make will be great.

It has been 4 years, and she does eat things now that she never had before, ribs, pork steaks, yellow rice (Vigo brand) she will eat some brussel sprouts if I roast them in the oven or brown on the griddle, same with asparagus. I do make some new things but I need to be careful as to what I put in it and how  much. It is a very slow and sometimes frustrating process.
Pages:
Actions