Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Clonesmoker on 09 Nov 2020
  • First time of doing a Tri Tip.  Bought it from our local Fareway store for $3.99 lb. I know the meat manager and was buying some T-Bones and he recommended the Tri Tip. I've never done one, so what the heck. It weighed 2.75 lbs.  My normal kosher salt and black pepper 50/50 mix went on it.  Put in on my DB for 1.5 hours at 150. I thought my DB was calibrated at 200 but it was more like 235!!  I just let it go for two hours at that temp. I never probed it for IT temp.  The flavor was outstanding!! By the time you take all the fat off a $2.96 /lb brisket, the cost I think would be close to be equal. No fat to trim off. Better flavor than brisket. I was really impressed by how tender it was!! It was pull apart tender. Going back today to get 4 more while on still on sale.  Just a great cut of beef!

• #2 by SmokinHandyman on 09 Nov 2020
  • Looks very good. Is that a sauce or glaze on it?
  • #3 by lil moose on 09 Nov 2020
  • looks wonderful.  Love Tri Tip smoked

• #4 by dk117 on 09 Nov 2020
  • tri tip is definitely a winner for for all sorts of meals, rare to trisket.  Montreal, S&P, Santa Maria, even marinade.  Just a great cut of meat and for our house, the "tip" goes to my wife as she wants hers well done.   

On to your point.   We get Costco Tri-Tip and when it's $5.99 I'm stocking up.   $7.99 seems to be pretty normal, and I've seen $9.99.   Crazy all around.  At $3.99 ... my freezer would be full.

DK
  • #5 by pmillen on 09 Nov 2020
  • You and Daniel Boone did a great job on that.
  • #6 by Clonesmoker on 09 Nov 2020
  • Thanks All!!  There is no glaze on it. Just the salt and pepper along with the smoke on it.

Just got almost 12 pounds worth. I would have gotten more but our freezer if full already. :(
  • #7 by SmokinHandyman on 09 Nov 2020
  • Thanks All!!  There is no glaze on it. Just the salt and pepper along with the smoke on it. :(

Looks like a nice juicy outer finish on the bark
  • #8 by SmokinHandyman on 09 Nov 2020
  • I haven't cooked one for a couple of years.
    I think I am way overdue.
    Better go get one.
  • #9 by Ralphie on 09 Nov 2020
  • Great looking tri tip!  Wish I stumbled onto a price like that. Doubt I ever will since tri tip is not very common in my area.
  • #10 by 1MoreFord on 09 Nov 2020
  • Tri tip is rare around me.  Walmart has it sometime.  Right now one store has it for $7.42/lb.  I'm very jealous.
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 09 Nov 2020
  • Tri tip is rare around me.  Walmart has it sometime.  Right now one store has it for $7.42/lb.  I'm very jealous.

Same here, don't find them often.
  • #12 by Brushpopper on 10 Nov 2020
  • tri tip is definitely a winner for for all sorts of meals, rare to trisket.  Montreal, S&P, Santa Maria, even marinade.  Just a great cut of meat and for our house, the "tip" goes to my wife as she wants hers well done.   

On to your point.   We get Costco Tri-Tip and when it's $5.99 I'm stocking up.   $7.99 seems to be pretty normal, and I've seen $9.99.   Crazy all around.  At $3.99 ... my freezer would be full.

DK

That's about what they go for at our local meat market too.  I think it's a wonderful cut of meat.
Pages:
Actions