Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ZCZ on 11 Nov 2020
  • If anyone knows what this is let me know. Taken while I was attending a grandson baseball game in Rancho Cucamunga.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by ZCZ on 11 Nov 2020
  • We are having our kitchen and bathroom cupboards and countertops redone. Two guys working together are doing a great job so thought I would help show my appreciation by cooking lunch for them. Yesterday I grilled burgers and today thought I would treat them to ribs. Due to time constraints thought I would use the 2-1-1 method on the baby backs that I used for the set Louis cut ribs I did at the Royal.  You run at 260 degrees for the whole cook.

I leave the ribs out until they get to room temperature then apply the rub about 1/2 hour before going on the grill. Rub in this case is the usual suspects of paprika, salt & pepper, cayenne pepper and some Smokin’ Guns Sweet Heat.

On the grill about 7:50’AM

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by ZCZ on 11 Nov 2020
  • Let run for two hours.

Since kitchen is all tore up had to do some substitutions for the Texas Crutch part of the cook.  Supposed to use a butter substitute but I used straight butter

[ Invalid Attachment ]

For the mixture I used the honey and brown sugar as always.  Usually mix that with apple Cider but none on hand so used Cran-Raspberry drink

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Place ribs meat side down in double wrapped foil.
  • #4 by ZCZ on 11 Nov 2020
  • Back on the grill for an hour in the foil

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Close up after coming out of the foil

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #5 by hughver on 11 Nov 2020
  • They surly look good, how was the flavor and bite?
  • #6 by ZCZ on 11 Nov 2020
  • After about half hour I turned them bond side up to apply a couple coats of sauce. In this case I am using the sauce I used at the American Royal: Wee Willy’s Original (brought some with me from MN as doubt they have it here in CA). 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

For those who may not know Wee Willy is a MN BBQ guy whose claim to fame was having won the Jack Daniels back in 2002.  His sauce did wonders for me at the Royal. Figured it would be one that might make the judges take a second bite. Seems to have helped.
  • #7 by ZCZ on 11 Nov 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Flipped over and added a couple coats on the neat side.
    Ended up being the 2-1-1.5 method until a toothpick would pass thru easily

They liked them

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #8 by Free Mr. Tony on 11 Nov 2020
  • Ribs looks good!  Google lens says possibly yellow bells on the flowers.
  • #9 by ZCZ on 11 Nov 2020
  • They surly look good, how was the flavor and bite?

Flavor was good. Could taste the smoke more it seemed. Hardly any bite but that was OK
  • #10 by ZCZ on 11 Nov 2020
  • At the Royal I did not do multiple saucings. I only sauced once all around as I put them in the box.
    These I think might be too dark for competition but I’m not a judge.
    Al
  • #11 by Bentley on 11 Nov 2020
  • Don't think the color would be an issue, but for a competition, that sauce might be a little heavy for me.  But until it is presented to you for judging, just to hard to tell by a picture!
  • #12 by Kristin Meredith on 11 Nov 2020
  • Bet they love working for you folks Al!!!  Looks great.

I think your flower is a yellow trumpet vine.  I had orange ones, but they looked the same.
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 11 Nov 2020
  • Might tasty looking.

I do same when I have workers at the house, difference is I make pizza, or get burgers,subs, chicken, etc. from local restaurants.
  • #14 by Darwin on 11 Nov 2020

• If anyone knows what this is let me know. Taken while I was attending a grandson baseball game in Rancho Cucamunga.

Looks like Tecoma stans or yellow bells.  Also available in red and orange (ish).  One of those is called flame.
    They can be a bit messy.
  • #15 by Trooper on 11 Nov 2020
  •  I was a teammate & smoking spares along side you at the 2015 Royal. Your ribs got turned in. Mine got eaten by the team.
    Had we both turned in ribs. I guess mine would've finished 25th.
    You are still quite a "Rib King".
    Many readers don't have any idea of the magnitude of that event. How many teams were in competition, Al?

Just got on line and looked it up
      OPEN  CLASS  -   Ribs
       605 KCBS Competition Teams turned in ribs for judging.

Pages:
Actions