Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 11 Nov 2020
  • So, I saw these in the grocery the other day and was just sucked in.  Cauliflower wings?  Could this be for real or just a bad food joke?  Had to give it a try.

Packaging is very catchy. They definitely want that sauce packet to get your attention.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Not exactly wing shaped as they go into the 450 oven for 18 minutes -- more nugget in my opinion.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Final product.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The coating they put on the outside helped give them something of a nugget flavour and texture.  Could not go so far as to say wing.  The cauliflower was pretty innocuous and the sauce was the main flavor.  They were not bad or repulsive by any means, nice texture and decent flavor and maybe would satisfy a vegetarian.  But they are not equal to real wings. 

• #2 by ylr on 11 Nov 2020
  • I saw those things advertised at BWW, and I thought "Why?"  ::)
  • #3 by Bentley on 11 Nov 2020
  • I will say this, if you have trouble with vegetables (I do not) and you are trying to up your intake, this would be a great way.  To expensive for a cheap screw, but for the 1st 3 seconds you would think you are eating a boneless wing from Pizza Hut.  Let the laughing and ridiculing begin!
  • #4 by ylr on 11 Nov 2020
  • I'm guessing it would be cheaper to buy a fresh head of cauliflower at the store?
  • #5 by Darwin on 11 Nov 2020
  • Similar to bar food I served 35 years ago.  Toss cauliflower in hot sauce to coat.  Allow to absorb overnight then toss with your favorite breading and deep fry.  Not overly spicy and cheap to serve.
  • #6 by Bentley on 11 Nov 2020
  • Much cheaper to just buy a head of cauliflower, but if you are looking for something other then just cooked or steamed vegetable this is it.

What did you use to make the breading adhere for frying?  These were sauced after they were cooked, so the breading was applied before going into the deep freeze.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 11 Nov 2020
  • I have never tried those, I soak some in the hot sauce and seasoning, then in to the air fryer, hit with some warmed sauce again. 
  • #8 by Darwin on 11 Nov 2020
  • No glue was used.  Just Durkee or Crystal hot sauce I think,  then tossed in corn flour / fish fry.  Shake off the lose stuff and fry.  Many years ago so I'm a bit foggy on details.   It was very simple and easy to do.  The hot sauce was one of the thicker and sweet ones, not Louisiana hot or Tabasco.  Freezing cauliflower changers the texture and  is a bit watery to me.
  • #9 by Bentley on 11 Nov 2020
  • Corn meal, not flour, OK.
  • #10 by Darwin on 11 Nov 2020
  • Too gritty.
  • #11 by WiPelletHead on 11 Nov 2020
  • Too gritty.
    Try using masa instead. Thats what I do.
  • #12 by Bentley on 11 Nov 2020
  • I see, corn flour, not meal or wheat flour.  These were definitely a wheat flour taste.
  • #13 by elenis on 12 Nov 2020
  • We have done things like this or tofu chunks to make cheaper versions of wings. Tempura battering them works really well, or you can go more of a fried chicken route on the breading if you like heavier breading. One of the things that helped me with this kind of thing is switching out some of the water in the batter for high proof vodka. It boils off at a lower temperature keeping things crispier when being tossed in a sauce. Learned that trick at Serious Eats when I wanted to make a good homemade version of general tso's or orange chicken.
Pages:
Actions