Here's How I.... > Cook Pork

Pig Jerky

(1/4) > >>

BigDave83:
Bought a whole loin, cut the front off to cure for a small ham, cut 3 chops out of it to make reubenray's chantilly taters. Don't ask about those. Sliced the rest of it across grain close 3/8" thick for jerky. had just under 5 pound once sliced.

0.25% Cure 1
2.5% Sea Salt
Eyeball Black Pepper. Granulated Garlic, Granulated Onion, Chipotle Powder.

Dust and layer and then redust as i layered it in my container for the fridge, until all of my spice/cure mix was used.

4 days in the fridge.

In the Pit Boss Copperhead 7 with the Pellet Pro controller set on smoke. (It ran 150 to the highest I saw was 168) it was in for a little over 9 hours.

Taste is good, probably for a lot 2% salt would be good, I like the slightly salty taste. I usually add another layer of flavor once laid out on the rack but I tried a small piece as I was laying it out and thought it was good the way it was. It turned out good, could have had more heat but as you chew it makes itself known.

Bar-B-Lew:
I enjoyed the last time I made pork jerky with a loin too

02ebz06:
Nicely done Dave!!!.

I bought a CampChef vertical smoker (6 shelves like yours) primarily for Jerky and Cheese, and as a backup, or in addition to, the Memphis.
Just did the smoked Cheese yesterday, so now I will have to get started on the Jerky.
Normally have done just pork, but will have to add Chicken and Pork (from your other post).

Thanks for sharing...

BigDave83:

--- Quote from: 02ebz06 on November 13, 2020, 01:12:14 PM ---Nicely done Dave!!!.

I bought a CampChef vertical smoker (6 shelves like yours) primarily for Jerky and Cheese, and as a backup, or in addition to, the Memphis.
Just did the smoked Cheese yesterday, so now I will have to get started on the Jerky.
Normally have done just pork, but will have to add Chicken and Pork (from your other post).

Thanks for sharing...

--- End quote ---

Chicken is great just don't over dry it as it is gets very this and hard. Plus be sure to use Cure 1 or tenderquick in it.

02ebz06:

--- Quote from: BigDave83 on November 13, 2020, 02:06:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: 02ebz06 on November 13, 2020, 01:12:14 PM ---Nicely done Dave!!!.

Thanks for sharing...

--- End quote ---

Chicken is great just don't over dry it as it is gets very this and hard. Plus be sure to use Cure 1 or tenderquick in it.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for tip.
I do use cure #1 in jerky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View