Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor Mans Burnt Ends  (Read 1507 times)

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Poor Mans Burnt Ends
« on: September 28, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »

Anyone have a good recipe?  Thought I would experiment this weekend. :bbq:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Poor Mans Burnt Ends
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »

Not sure there is any meat cheaper then brisket that will accomplish the task...Or I am misunderstanding the thread?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »

I've made them with chuck roasts.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ICIdaho

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »

Not sure there is any meat cheaper then brisket that will accomplish the task...Or I am misunderstanding the thread?

I buy my meat a half beef at a time.  I have no brisket cuts, but I do have chuck roasts I can use.  I have seen these referred to as poor mans burnt ends...not sure if they truly cost any less.

ICIdaho

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »

Why no Brisket with a half a rack of beef?  The chuck would be good, has more connective tissue then brisket. Wonder how a shank would do?  And blade roast too!

I am not certain where it ends up, I am sure I could request it to be held out.  The standard cuts give you chuck/arm roasts, rump roasts, and sirloin tip roasts.  The steaks that are standard are rib, t-bone, sirloin, round and tenderloin filets.  The rest is hamburger, which is where I think the brisket ends up.  Maybe we have butcher on pellet fans that know more, I just order and pick up.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »

Chuck roasts are usually about the same cost as briskets unless you are in a place that has great brisket prices in that are less than $3/lb.  I thought you wanted something that didn't take as long to cook or that didn't require a whole packer to be cooked which is why I mentioned chuck roast.  Didn't even occur to me it was a financial question.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »

Reply #3 finally sank in...I am sorry, I have plenty for Chuck, I have none for Chuck Burnt Ends...And Chuck around here is now about $3/lb more then Brisket!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »

There is cheaper than brisket.  Use pork shoulder.
Cook a shoulder low n slow like usual to 170*IT (go to 170, do not shortcut once it stalls at say 150, I tried a number of times with poor results.)
Cube up to your preferred size and into a foil lasagna pan.  some like 2" cubes, I like smaller 1/2" to 1" max cubes.
little bit of sauce to coat (not heavy just coat)
Add rub to get a good coating.
little bit more sauce to coat, then rub again.  (You want rub and sauce to make them well coated and sticky, but do not want sauce bath in the pan.)
Throw in smoker @ 225* for a few hours.  I usually check after 1hr, then again @ 2hr mark and then start checking every 15-30min.  All depends on how they are progressing.  When you want to hide in garage with the pan, they are done.

ICIdaho

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »

Chuck roasts are usually about the same cost as briskets unless you are in a place that has great brisket prices in that are less than $3/lb.  I thought you wanted something that didn't take as long to cook or that didn't require a whole packer to be cooked which is why I mentioned chuck roast.  Didn't even occur to me it was a financial question.

It was not a financial question, I just have a couple hundred pounds of beef in the freezer and don't want to buy additional meat for brisket, so I thought I could use once of my chuck roasts. 

ICIdaho

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 03:47:53 PM »

There is cheaper than brisket.  Use pork shoulder.
Cook a shoulder low n slow like usual to 170*IT (go to 170, do not shortcut once it stalls at say 150, I tried a number of times with poor results.)
Cube up to your preferred size and into a foil lasagna pan.  some like 2" cubes, I like smaller 1/2" to 1" max cubes.
little bit of sauce to coat (not heavy just coat)
Add rub to get a good coating.
little bit more sauce to coat, then rub again.  (You want rub and sauce to make them well coated and sticky, but do not want sauce bath in the pan.)
Throw in smoker @ 225* for a few hours.  I usually check after 1hr, then again @ 2hr mark and then start checking every 15-30min.  All depends on how they are progressing.  When you want to hide in garage with the pan, they are done.

This sounds delicious.

bproffer

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »

I have used both pork butt and pork belly to make burnt ends. And while i think they are both delicious, I think the pork belly burnt ends take the cake. But if you have chuck, by all means use it. they may end up a little tougher than brisket point or other fattier cuts of meat though.

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 06:41:52 PM »

Reply #3 finally sank in...I am sorry, I have plenty for Chuck, I have none for Chuck Burnt Ends...And Chuck around here is now about $3/lb more then Brisket!

This is the kinda stuff that drives me nuts. I can get chuck roast locally at 3 bucks a lb. (on sale), yet brisket never drops below $6.99/lb.

I don't mind spending 15 bucks for a potential disaster (hard to imagine with a chuck), but I can easily envision a 70 dollar brisket in that category.

I'd try the chuck roast in a heartbeat.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?
Pages: [1]   Go Up