Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 15 Nov 2020
  • About six weeks ago I learned of an organization in our community called 22-2-NONE. The name refers to the 22 veterans in our country that on average commit suicide each day. The goal is to get that number down to none. This group has been around for just a few years, but they have done a lot for vets in our community. They recently purchased an old elementary school just down the street from one of the churches I serve. They are planning to renovate 10 classrooms into apartments that can be used for short term housing by vets and their families. Last week one of the members of 22-2-NONE was a guest speaker at our church and then gave us a tour of the school. After the tour I mentioned the idea of having a party at the school for vets in our community and he was excited about the possibility.

Just when it was beginning to look like the annual Christmas party that my family and I host each year was going to be a Covid casualty, a new possibility is now in the works. Today I found out that the group is on board. We will meet later in the week to work out the details.

With the school there will be plenty of room to spread out and socially distance. The plan is to not have a traditional sit down dinner. Instead, we will have different food stations around the school. The idea is to serve food that can easily be eaten sitting or standing. Tables will be setup at various places so people will have the option to sit and eat if they want to.

It is fun to think about trying to do something this year. If there is a Covid crackdown in the near future it still may not happen and even if we pull it off it will be a lot different than usual. However, I guess I wouldn’t expect anything less from 2020! I will be posting menu ideas and be looking for your help going forward!! Thanks in advance.
  • #2 by triplebq on 15 Nov 2020
  • This is a great cause. I'm sure the event will be fun.
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Nov 2020
  • What a wonderful and creative idea and what a great community you all have moved to!!!!
  • #4 by Canadian John on 16 Nov 2020

•    Absolutely wonderful. I hope it works out well.

Helping those that have helped us is spectacular.
  • #5 by jdmessner on 16 Nov 2020
  • As the saying goes: No good deed goes unpunished. No sooner did I make this posting and our governor comes out and puts the state on tighter covid restrictions. This doesn't necessarily cancel the party, but it sure doesn't help. I am good either way. As much as I would like to do the party, it is important to keep people safe.
  • #6 by Trooper on 16 Nov 2020
  • Schools, & gyms & restaurants are all in jeopardy.
    Things are getting gooney again, JD.
    My daughter is in the restaurant business and also has a Jazzercise business. She says "We got through it once, we'll get through it again."

Good attitude for all of us.
  • #7 by jdmessner on 17 Nov 2020
    Things for getting gooney again, JD.
    My daughter is in the restaurant business and also has a Jazzercise business. She says "We got through it once, we'll get through it again."

That is a great attitude, I hope they are able to hang in there for this next go around. I did get a chance a couple of weeks ago to check out the pizza place that she and her husband own.

It took me a while to put 2 and 2 together that they are part of the legendary Fricano's pizza family.

We were there for our anniversary and that pizza made me feel decades younger. I have great memories of going to the Grand Haven restaurant. The pizzeria in Muskegon is amazing it has a nice atmosphere, wonderful views, and a great crispy crust pizza.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 17 Nov 2020
    Things for getting gooney again, JD.

That is a great attitude, I hope they are able to hang in there for this next go around. I did get a chance a couple of weeks ago to check out the pizza place that she and her husband own.

It took me a while to put 2 and 2 together that they are part of the legendary Fricano's pizza family.

We were there for our anniversary and that pizza made me feel decades younger. I have great memories of going to the Grand Haven restaurant. The pizzeria in Muskegon is amazing it has a nice atmosphere, wonderful views, and a great crispy crust pizza.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

What a great looking pizza, I love the cheese spill over and crunchy out come.

Looking at the ovens in the back, those are probably 4 foot ovens and they have 20 of them, the volume they are able to do is amazing.

I hope all goes well for your Christmas party and the people that attend.
Pages:
Actions