Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jgrayson on 16 Nov 2020
  • Hello,
    I've been around Pellet Fan and Pellet Heads for years.  I've owned a Traeger, then a FireCraft, and now upgraded to a Yoder.  It was delivered on Wednesday, and due to the weather I didn't get to use it until Friday.  After the burn in I cooled it down and then smoked a pair of pork tenderloins, and then two whole chickens for dinner on Saturday.  Leftovers last night and tonight, but then I'll use it again tomorrow night for something new.  So far it's been great!  It takes a bit longer to warm up in comparison to the other cookers I've owned, but this is bigger and heavier so I have a feeling that accounts for the longer warm up times.
  • #2 by protege2k on 16 Nov 2020
  • Hello,
    I've been around Pellet Fan and Pellet Heads for years.  I've owned a Traeger, then a FireCraft, and now upgraded to a Yoder.  It was delivered on Wednesday, and due to the weather I didn't get to use it until Friday.  After the burn in I cooled it down and then smoked a pair of pork tenderloins, and then two whole chickens for dinner on Saturday.  Leftovers last night and tonight, but then I'll use it again tomorrow night for something new.  So far it's been great!  It takes a bit longer to warm up in comparison to the other cookers I've owned, but this is bigger and heavier so I have a feeling that accounts for the longer warm up times.

Congrats!

I utilized the WiFi kit on my older Yoder, which still works great!

When you are ready, consider the welding cover for the Yoder, cuts down on pellet use and warm up time - still takes a minute to warm up though.  Happy Smoking!
  • #3 by pmillen on 16 Nov 2020
  • When you are ready, consider the welding cover for the Yoder, cuts down on pellet use and warm up time - still takes a minute to warm up though.

I discourage welding blankets for pit insulation.

Welding blankets are designed to provide nearby items with protection from slag, molten metal and grinding or welding sparks.  They are not necessarily good insulators.  But the primary reason that I discourage their use as pit insulators is that, as many age, they begin to shed their glass fiber stuffing.  You want to avoid eating glass fibers.

Not everyone agrees with me.   :(
  • #4 by iflyskyhigh on 16 Nov 2020
  • Doesn’t Yoder make a custom insulation cover for the YS640/480?

I bought the cover for my 640s and it’s high quality, just like everything they make. So I assume the insulated cover would be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #5 by okie smokie on 16 Nov 2020
  • When you are ready, consider the welding cover for the Yoder, cuts down on pellet use and warm up time - still takes a minute to warm up though.

I discourage welding blankets for pit insulation.

Welding blankets are designed to provide nearby items with protection from slag, molten metal and grinding or welding sparks.  They are not necessarily good insulators.  But the primary reason that I discourage their use as pit insulators is that, as many age, they begin to shed their glass fiber stuffing.  You want to avoid eating glass fibers.

Not everyone agrees with me.   :(
    I agree with you. I bought two welding blankets when trying to build an overcoat for my Recteq last year. Both shed glass fibers like my cat sheds fir. So I discarded them quickly.  Finally ended up using a Pit Boss overcoat which uses fiber glass stuffing that in enclosed in silicone coated cover.  When making some cut outs, I had to stitch down the cut edges and cover them with high heat silicone caulk. So far so good. (ended up not needing the magnets, which fell off when heated anyhow)

• #6 by Canadian John on 17 Nov 2020

•  Back to the Yoder:  That must be quite a relief, a new reliable pit.  Enjoy the heck out of it.
  • #7 by Bentley on 17 Nov 2020
  • Enjoy the new pit!
  • #8 by ofelles on 17 Nov 2020
  • Enjoy the new Yoder.  Still like mine after 2 1/2 years.  No issues yet.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 17 Nov 2020
  • Sorry I got off the track.  Congrats on your new pit.   :clap:
Pages:
Actions