Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by bmwe30nut on 20 Nov 2020
  • 3.5 years into it, had an issue...the Auger motor wasn't turning.   

Did some testing (the motor worked fine).   Got 120v at the plug for the motor all the time (even when the ignitor light was off).

Sent the board in and Tony was very helpful...got the same issue, then the relay (after tapping) seemed to work.  So he's sending it back.  Unfortunately, if it crops up again (as he said, could die next week or several years from now), it's a control board.

I did see that one member mentioned buying one at one point, so I'm wondering what they run.

• #2 by BigDave83 on 20 Nov 2020
  • I don't have a cookshack pellet cooker. The relay thing I can understand. I have a 23 CuFt Saturn commercial fridge. It decided to freeze everything one time. I took it apart and I accidentally tapped the one relay with the screw driver and it stopped and went back to normal. Order a new board and it did it again about 2 weeks later before I got the new board in. Swapped them out and it worked for 2 years, then it happened again, I tapped on the relay and it started working, so I ordered another board. Never did put it in, but I have it, have not had an issue with it since. Probably won't because I have a spare board waiting.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 20 Nov 2020
  • When I used to repair computers (the big ones), had relay issues as well from time to time.
    When Relays open/close the contacts can get burned and sometimes stick together.
    Not sure what the relay looks like in your grill, but if you can get to the contacts, you can use a small file, like a nail file, to clean them.
    Unplugged of course.
  • #4 by bregent on 20 Nov 2020
  • I'm confused by your initial statement about having 120V all the time, and the motor not turning. Maybe I'm misreading it. Can you clarify how you tested?

Are you testing under load?

Does the controller use a mechanical relay, or a SSR or SCR?  Either way, they are usually easy to identify and replace. I had an SCR go bad on my Memphis controller that I repaired with at $2 part.
  • #5 by texasbrew on 29 Nov 2020
  • I had to get one a few years ago.  I think that the price was around $120.  You can check with Tony at Cookshack and he should be able to advise you on the cost.
Pages:
Actions