Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 22 Nov 2020
  • As we start to get closer to Thanksgiving, it is all about the bird! I am always willing to try new methods and alternative cooking techniques to get the best results possible. Besides that, you never know when the grill might go out or the oven goes on the fritz, it never hurts to have a backup plan. Dryer Turkey, it may the best thing to happen to Thanksgiving since Turducken!! I hope you enjoy the video as much as I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA22u6XQiIQ
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 22 Nov 2020
  • That is just wrong in so many ways...  Hahahahahahahahahahaha
  • #3 by hughver on 22 Nov 2020
  • Unfortunately, I'm not on the hook for turkey this year, but if I were, I'd separate the breast from the legs/thighs, sous vide the breast at 145° and the legs/thighs at 160°, both for 5 hours. Dry, sear on an open flame source and use the liquid from the sous vide bag for gravy. I've never done this before, but I've read some glowing reviews about the process.
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Nov 2020
  • The problem is, there are some out there who will think this is legit and will ruin their dryers!!!
  • #5 by jdmessner on 22 Nov 2020
  • The problem is, there are some out there who will think this is legit and will ruin their dryers!!!

My suggestion is to try this out at the laundromat for the first time (those dryers have probably seen just about everything else)!

I came across this while trying to verify a claim a friend made. She said her son cooked a turkey with a hair dryer. I don't think you could cook one, but as it turns out the hair dryer does have a legit function when it comes to prepping the turkey. It is supposed to dry it better than blotting it with paper towels and makes for extra crispy skin. I actually might try this! 
  • #6 by jdmessner on 23 Nov 2020
  • Don't ask me how or why I found this, but here is an video of someone actually cooking a turkey in the dryer. It may give Sous Vide a run for the money!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=cooking+a+turkey+with+a+hair+dryer#id=1&vid=536b976fa5601a5114b7df5f7482f51e&action=click
  • #7 by hughver on 23 Nov 2020
  • Our dryer came with a gadget that sits inside the dryer drum and stays stationary for drying shoes and the like when dryer is on, so who knows?  ???
  • #8 by jdmessner on 26 Nov 2020
  • When you are home alone for Thanksgiving it gives you a little leeway as to what to make for dinner. For some reason the dryer turkey intrigues me. So what the heck, I figured I would give it a whirl, or should I say tumble?

I decided to go with chicken breast tenders instead of turkey. I did one  plain, 2 with a rub, and 2 with BBQ sauce.  Used my innovative, low tech, Northern Michigan vacuum sealer. Preheated the dryer at high for 60 minutes. I will check on the tenders at the quarter break, I see the Lions just were hit with a pick 6, so it looks like everything is on track, even though Huston couldn't make the extra point.

Oh man, before I could even post this another turnover and Detroit is showing they are SOL (Same Old Lions). Maybe I should check the chicken!

Dryer set on high!
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

Northern Michigan Low Tech Vac-u-sealer:
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

• #9 by jdmessner on 26 Nov 2020
  • After about 45 minutes the IT was 121, which is abut the same as the dryer. I will be curious to see how much it goes up by halftime! The one thing I found interesting was the bags did not tumble they stuck to the side of the dryer.
  • #10 by urnmor on 26 Nov 2020
  • After about 45 minutes the IT was 121, which is abut the same as the dryer. I will be curious to see how much it goes up by halftime! The one thing I found interesting was the bags did not tumble they stuck to the side of the dryer.

I am waiting with baited breath to see the outcome
  • #11 by jdmessner on 26 Nov 2020
  • I could not get the internal temp to go over 137. I ended up pulling it after about 3 hours (it only went up a couple of degrees the last 45 minutes). I guess beef might be better suited for dryer cooking than poultry.

I took the bags out and the BBQ was mush, the rub was looked like it had been shredded, and the plain was just in chunks. They were all very moist. I mixed in a some hot sauce, shredded Mexican cheese, a little Miracle Whip and put it on toast. Not a bad sandwich, tasted like chicken! It would have been good on nachos or pita bread. I must say at the end of the day, it was better than the Lions game!
  • #12 by jdmessner on 26 Nov 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #13 by just4fn on 26 Nov 2020
  • I sous vide my turkey in the washer then finished it off in the dryer.  It had a very clean taste.  I'm thinking of putting my washer and dryer in the kitchen so I don't have to walk so far.
  • #14 by Trooper on 02 Dec 2020
  • just4fn -
     :clap:
Pages:
Actions