Poll: What are your 5 go to? Gravy is just a given.

Some type of potato.
Yams or Sweet Potato.
Green Beans (Casserole)
Peas.
Stuffing/Dressing
Cranberries.
Carrots
Beets
3 Bean Salad
Green Salad
Scalloped Corn
Other (You will have to fill us in)
Yes I will Brine.

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 22 Nov 2020
  • This year it will be me, Kristin, brother Bob and SIL Sue.  We will have potato, dressing, cranberries, & gravy this year w/bird!
  • #2 by urnmor on 22 Nov 2020
  • Our other side is plain corn
  • #3 by SmokinHandyman on 22 Nov 2020
  • Our ‘other’ side is a broccoli/cauli casserole.
    Sounds good.
    What is your recipe?
  • #4 by jdmessner on 22 Nov 2020
  • Red Jell-O with bananas and whipped cream is a must.
    Squash rather than yams or sweet potatoes.
    Green beans, but not the casserole.
    My mom used to make a frozen fruit salad in bundt pan. We haven't had it in years, but it would be a classic worth reviving.
    I go back and forth on brining, but probably will this year. Looking at using pmillen's basic pork and poultry brine.

• #5 by BigDave83 on 22 Nov 2020
  • My other is those cheap brown n serv rolls. I love those things. Also something made with corn and jiffy cornbread mix. I have only made it a couple of times but I like it. no one else does, hence why I have only made it a couple of times.
  • #6 by Bentley on 22 Nov 2020
  • I used to make something like this.  It had whole kernel corn, crushed pineapple, diced jalapeños and the liquid used was 7-up!

Also something made with corn and jiffy cornbread mix.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 22 Nov 2020
  • I used to make something like this.  It had whole kernel corn, crushed pineapple, diced jalapeños and the liquid used was 7-up!

Also something made with corn and jiffy cornbread mix.

I went and did a quick search. i found this one, it is pretty much it, there seems to be many out there. The site I got this from is at the bottom of the recipe for credit.

Sweet Creamed Corn Casserole (with Jiffy Mix)
    Serves 9-10   

This stupid easy Creamed Corn Casserole recipe is made with a store bought Jiffy cornbread mix, and that's not an apology. It is SO good! If you grew up with this Thanksgiving side dish you know what I'm talking about. It is creamy, corny, custardy, and sweet. It's the perfect compliment to a holiday meal, but I also love serving it with a bowl of chili!
    Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
        1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
        1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn, not drained
        1 cup sour cream
        3 tablespoons granulated sugar
        1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
        1 (8 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
        In a 8x8 or 9x9 inch glass pan, add 1/2 cup butter. Put it in the microwave and melt it right in the pan. (If you only have a metal pan, melt it in a bowl and then transfer to the pan.*) Use a spatula or pastry brush to spread the butter up the sides of the pan, so that it doesn't stick while baking.
        Open the can of whole corn kernels and drain. I usually just press the lid down on the corn holding it upside down over the sink. Add the drained corn to the butter in the pan.
        Open the can of creamed corn and dump the whole thing into the pan.
        Add 1 cup sour cream.
        Add 3 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (add 1/4 teaspoon if using table salt).
        Add an 8 ounce box of Jiffy cornbread mix.
        Use a spatula to stir it all together until well combined. Scrape down the edges.
        Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes. The edges should be turning golden brown and pulling away from the sides. When you shake the pan, the center should not be jiggling more than the edges. You can also use the toothpick test, when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter, it's done.
        Let cool on a wire rack for a couple minutes before serving warm!

Variations

Sweet Corn Casserole: Add 1/2 cup or even 3/4 cup sugar instead of 3 tablespoons

For a cake-like texture, rather than custard texture: add 2 eggs. This makes the casserole a little more fluffy and taller. This is a VERY common addition to corn casserole, but I prefer it without the eggs. It's good both ways though!

Add cheese: how can you go wrong? Omit the 3 tablespoons sugar and stir in 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle another 1/2 cup cheese on top. You could even go wild and add in some chopped jalapanos...or some cooked bacon!

Make it in the slow cooker: You can make this recipe as written in a 4-quart slow cooker, or double the recipe and make it in a 6 quart slow cooker. Be sure to spray the edges. Cook on high for 2 hours, or low for 3-4 hours. Super handy for Thanksgiving when you need your oven for the turkey!

To make the second version I tried that you see in the photos: Follow the recipe as directed making these changes: reserve half of the sour cream. Add 2 eggs. Mix it all together, then dollop the remaining 1/2 cup sour cream on top and swirl in with a knife. It will take a couple minutes longer to bake.

Recipe Notes

*Corn casserole baked in a metal pan will cook a couple minutes faster than in a glass pan, so check it early if you're using a metal pan.

You can double this recipe and bake in a 9x13 inch pan! It will probably take closer to 45 minutes to bake. A 9x13 inch pan will serve 16-20 poeple.

All images and text © The Food Charlatan
  • #8 by Bentley on 22 Nov 2020
  • OK, much different, mine was more like Johnny Bread!
  • #9 by Clonesmoker on 23 Nov 2020
  • My other is homemade rolls and homemade strawberry jelly. Going to miss going to my mom's this year due to Covid. :(
  • #10 by dk117 on 23 Nov 2020
  • we've been heads down for 10 plus days so we can have my wife's parents over.  Just 6 folks total.  Normally I'd be cooking for 20+.  In terms of fellowship and cooking, Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday.

This year for sides
    • Garlic Mashed Potatoes, just russet
    • dungeness crab stuffing
    • canned whole cranberries
    • green bean casserole
    • veggies and ranch

One 9.5 lb turkey (bone in breast only) and 6 1.5 lb turkey legs went into the brine just an hour ago.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 23 Nov 2020
  • For us, Spatchcock Turkey on the Memphis, mashed potatoes, stuffing, peas, green beans, and cranberries (for the wife, not me)
  • #12 by hughver on 23 Nov 2020
  • Being born and raised in Louisiana, I always include rice.
  • #13 by cookingjnj on 24 Nov 2020
  • I have peas as one of our go to sides.  However, it is a pea casserole similar to the green bean casserole. 
  • #14 by Bentley on 24 Nov 2020
  • I never thought of rice, but now as I think about it, dirty rice would be a great side for Thanksgiving!
  • #15 by 1MoreFord on 24 Nov 2020
  • I never thought of rice, but now as I think about it, dirty rice would be a great side for Thanksgiving!

Since I had a Louisiana Mother, rice has always been a side for every occasion.  It works well to soak up any and all gravy. :-\
Pages:
Actions