Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by SeattleSteve on 22 Nov 2020
  • I have had a Traeger for many years, but we can't get a real smoky flavor.  Just bought some "Cookin Pellets" and that helps but still not as "smoky" as we want.

My wife got  some chicken from a barbeque place a couple days ago with a VERY strong smoky flavor.  She says "I want to be able do THAT at home."

I realize they probably use a REAL wood smoker and smoke the chicken for many hours ... but my question to all the pellet cooking experts on this forums is this:

What is Best Pellet Pit for HEAVY SMOKE FLAVOR if money is no object?  In other words, I want the BEST and I don't care how much it costs.

I realize some pellet pits are better at some things than others, but for us MAX smoke flavor is the goal.

I welcome your suggestions.

Thank you!

Steve
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Nov 2020
  • get a stick burner.  you don't like smoke you like creosote
  • #3 by SeattleSteve on 22 Nov 2020

We like the convenience of pellet pits.
  • #4 by Bentley on 22 Nov 2020
  • I am not sure they like creosote, but after reading your comments, I doubt that your wife will ever be happy with a pellet units smoke flavor.  You could try adding a supplemental smoke unit like the Blaz'n...but short of cold smoking before the cook, just not sure it can be accomplished. 

• #5 by triplebq on 22 Nov 2020

Sorry I disagree with your comment to the OP. Just because someone likes a lot of smoke flavor doesn't mean they like creosote. They just like heavy smoke.
  • #6 by triplebq on 22 Nov 2020
  • I agree with Bentley. Get a smoking tube, etc. to add more smoke.
  • #7 by SeattleSteve on 22 Nov 2020
  • Thanks for the tips!

I know a pellet pit can NEVER duplicate the heavy smoke flavor of a real wood smoker ... but I'm trying to find one that comes the closest while still maintaining the ease and convenience of a pellet smoker.

We like the Traeger, but want to upgrade to something that provides more SMOKE flavor. 
  • #8 by SeattleSteve on 22 Nov 2020
  • I like what I've been seeing about the Mepmhis Pro & Elite.

For one thing, they are stainless steel so the paint won't peel and rust the metal like my Traegar did.

Memphis owners, please comments on the "smokiness" of the Memphis?

Thanks!

Steve
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Nov 2020
  • Pellet pits are real wood smokers because pellets are real wood that smoke.  Maybe you should let your chicken smoke for a few hours before you cook it. Also, since she likes the flavor from a commercial bbq place, you have to consider the fact that they may have used liquid smoke at some point in the process.  They would never admit it, but some competition teams used liquid smoke for that "smokey" flavor.

We have a Memphis Pro and I don't know that it imparts a heavy smoke. 
  • #10 by Bentley on 22 Nov 2020
  • So wood pellets are not real wood?  I will kind of go back to Lew's point about creosote.  If you are referring to a pit that burns split wood as "real" wood and saying that a pellet unit cannot dupicate that, you might be looking for more then just wood smoke flavor.  There used to be two competitors on the BBQ circuit and they held joint BBQ cooking classes.  One used a pit with wood sticks, one used pellet units.  Both of them would say and many folks I talked to that took there classes that there was very little if any flavor difference in the food.  Now you and your wife may enjoy a fire that does not burn as clean as pellets and imparts that "heavy" smoke flavor, if so, like I said, I do not think you will find that in ANY pellet unit.

Thanks for the tips!

I know a pellet pit can NEVER duplicate the heavy smoke flavor of a real wood smoker

I have one, I did a Turkey today on it, I love the "smokiness" it imparted on the bird.  I do not like a "Heavy" smoke flavor, so my response is worthless for you.  It produces a great wood flavor for me...wood pellet flavor is to subjective. Pellets are very convenient, but the taste is not for everyone!

Memphis owners, please comments on the "smokiness" of the Memphis?
  • #11 by GREG-B on 22 Nov 2020
  • Perhaps a more intense pellet at a low temperature might get you the smoke profile you're looking for.  Mesquite has a more intense profile than say cherry or alder.  Mesquite is off hand, the only one that comes to mind.  Others may chime in and correct me.  Fowl really absorbs more smoke flavor than any other protein IMHO. 
  • #12 by SeattleSteve on 22 Nov 2020
  • Thanks again for the tips, please keep them coming!

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my "heavy smoke" comments, was not trying to start a "fight" or anything.

Just trying to find an upgrade to our old Traeger. I already have a good gas grill, so I won't be using it for "grilling" primarily want a good SMOKER.

I hope that clarifies what I am looking for. 

Thanks, Steve
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 22 Nov 2020
  • From my experience and only owning 3 different pellet cookers. I will say that the cookers with the PID controllers I own or have owned give a far less flavored smoke profile than the non pid controller. My rec tec smoke taste was almost non existent. (it was my first one) bought a GMG much better smoke flavors, then bought a pit boss vertical great smoke flavor temps very inconsistent, put PID in it smoke flavor went away, but temps are stable.

Try adding some small wood chunks or chips on the heat deflector. I have done this with the PB since swapping controllers and it has helped. The cooking temps need to be up at 200 or better, they don't work so well in the 160 to 180 range.

Pellet Pro makes a deflector called the Heavy D it has a cage on both sides of the deflector that you can load wood chunks in to. I don't have one but from reading from people that do they work great. Depending on your Treager this may fit with out mods.

Grilla has a controller they call the Alpha that is switchable between PID and I call it Analog. So you could use the non PID for a few hours then switch to finish with the more consistent temps of the PID.
  • #14 by Bentley on 22 Nov 2020
  • I guess you would have to define heavy smoke flavor for me?  You might take a look at the Cookshack electric smokers.  They can impart way beyond a heavy smoke flavor and would be as convenient as a pellet unit!

Something like the SM025: SMOKETTE ELITE:

• #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Nov 2020
  • you need to be really careful with those cookshack electrics as they do not recommend using much wood in them.  if you do, you will get creosote and it is really hard to get it out of the walls of the unit.  i know from experience.  everything i cooked after that had that bitter taste to it so  i sold it for $50 at a garage sale.
Pages:
Actions