Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by glitchy on 23 Nov 2020
  • The Weber SmokeFire puts out more smoke than any other pellet grill I've had by a long shot...and I've had 10. It still produces noticeable smoke at 300 plus where most pellet grills start becoming very hard to notice any smoke profile from. I've cooked a couple frozen pizzas at 450 (with hickory pellets) that have had too much smoke for my taste. I had a SmokinTex for a couple years (very similar to Cookshack electric smokers). It worked well for butt, brisket, etc. However, if you put more than a couple pieces of wood or had wind that impeded airflow instead of helped it, could get very creosote like very easily. Also, forget poultry on them, really hard to cook hot enough to not overdo smoke and avoid rubbery skin. Maybe Cookshack gets hotter than SmokinTex though to help some with poultry.
  • #17 by glitchy on 23 Nov 2020
  • Also, if you think a pellet grill doesn't produce enough smoke for you, don't rule out Kamado style grills (even the Weber Summit Kamado Charcoal). With a temp control system, the can easily run 10-18 hours about as care free as a pellet grill. I know this is a pellet focused forum, but they are not the have all be all for everyone's tastes. I've loved most of my pellet grills and usually very willingly trade the convenience of pellets for heavier smoke any day, but the SmokeFire and Weber Summit Charcoal have definitely opened my eyes that there is a wide range of smoke taste lying between a Traeger and creosote.
  • #18 by pmillen on 23 Nov 2020
  • ...there is a wide range of smoke taste lying between a Traeger and creosote.

I agree with glitchy.

You may want to consider the Cookshack Fast Eddy line, the PG500 and PG1000.  They use a controller that allows easy adjustment of the number of pellets dropped into the fire pot and the timing between drops.  Those two variables affect the amount of smoke produced.

The trade-off to producing more smoke is an increase in temperature swings.  At maximum smoke output (a rather large number of pellets dropped) the larger fire may cause the pit to overshoot your temperature set point by 25°F or so.  Contrary to what many accomplished pit masters think, reasonable temperature variations don’t influence the quality of the finished product.

EDIT:  Added the clarifying word variations.
  • #19 by BigDave83 on 23 Nov 2020
  • I can agree with the Cookshack electrics. I have had a small 025 for close 20 years, still works great, toss 30# of butts in with a few wood chips and one or 2 small wood chunks close the door come back in 12 hours and take it out to rest. It don't get no easier. Works great for most things, I really like wings in it for 2 hours then finish on the gas grill or over charcoal. Only 2 down sides to it, one is the rack size 14x14 and 2 is the temp only goes to 250. There is a company called Smokin It they make the same type of cooker. A number 3 has a deeper rack and could hold full size ribs and or brisket I believe.

As for the creosote taste, no sure how i would get into the walls of the smoker, mine seems to be sealed up nicely. I have never seen smoke come from anywhere other than the top vent hole. I have mine set up in the garage on a cart under a range hood.
  • #20 by glitchy on 23 Nov 2020
  • As for the creosote taste, no sure how i would get into the walls of the smoker, mine seems to be sealed up nicely. I have never seen smoke come from anywhere other than the top vent hole. I have mine set up in the garage on a cart under a range hood.

Assuming you meant "not sure how air would get into walls of the smoker"?

Mine was sealed up very well too, it wasn't air getting into as I think that would actually lessen any chance of creosote like taste, but I had mine outside and if the wind would come from the right direction it would seem to bounce off walls of house on patio and stifle the airflow by working against the very slow unaided drafting in these boxes. I could have taken steps to counter that problem, but since it couldn't get hot enough to cook poultry well I moved on. If I had enough space, it would have been nice to keep around occasionally for several butts or chuck roasts at once. When I sold this was actually when I bought my first Traeger.
  • #21 by ofelles on 23 Nov 2020
  • Adding a smoke tube and starting out at a low temp(225F) should help.  I love my the food my Yoder put out. 
    I also have a Lone Star Grillz insulated cabinet smoker running on charcoal and wood chunks.  It puts out a much stronger smoke flavor.  With a controller and fan is is almost as set and forget as the Yoder.   
  • #22 by bregent on 23 Nov 2020
  • >>I know a pellet pit can NEVER duplicate the heavy smoke flavor of a real wood smoker ...

That really depends on who/how the wood smoker is being operated. I've had food from some of the best BBQ joints in the country, and the level of smoke in their food was very close to what I get on my Memphis. And I've been to other places where smoke was the predominate flavor.  I prefer the former, but some like the latter. With a stick burner you can control how much smoke flavor you get. With a pellet grill you are limited to more of a background flavor than an up front smoke flavor.

Which Cookin' Pellets did you try?  If it was perfect mix, try the 100% hickory.  All I use is LJ 100% hickory cause it gives me the perfect amount of smoke flavor.  For most food, I run at 180F for the first hour or so before bumping up to 225-275.

You might also consider one of the Masterbuilt gravity feed charcoal grills. They have the convenience of pellets, but can give more smoke flavor.  Flavor from a charcoal + wood grill is different than a pellet or stick burner - good, but different.
  • #23 by SeattleSteve on 24 Nov 2020
  • Thanks again for the all great tips!

Frankly I did not know that "heavy smoke" was such a "hot" topic!   ;)

Very interesting to see all the different insights and perspectives.
  • #24 by okie smokie on 24 Nov 2020
  • Just as a FYI, I just read that while creosote from coal fire is known to be a carcinogenic, the FDA says that Wood  fire creosote has not been found to do so.  So go for the smoke if you like.  (I don't like heavy smoke flavor).
  • #25 by okie smokie on 26 Nov 2020
  • You might look at the RT590. I put on ribs at 210* for 3 hrs.  There was continuous smoke pouring out of the vents the entire time. Using Lumberjack Hickory blend. Will turn up to 225* while in foil and then same temp when last hour unfoiled.  I find that the RT when set below 225 smokes continously. I do 3:2:1 ribs often and they are well smoke flavored for me. Not overpowering (which I do not like). If you want smoke and smoke flavor, you have to cook at the lower smoke temps. On a non PID, you can adjust the P setting for more smoke also. (as on the old Traeger).  :2cents:
  • #26 by SeattleSteve on 26 Nov 2020
  • You might look at the RT590. I put on ribs at 210* for 3 hrs.  There was continuous smoke pouring out of the vents the entire time. Using Lumberjack Hickory blend. Will turn up to 225* while in foil and then same temp when last hour unfoiled.  I find that the RT when set below 225 smokes continously. I do 3:2:1 ribs often and they are well smoke flavored for me. Not overpowering (which I do not like). If you want smoke and smoke flavor, you have to cook at the lower smoke temps. On a non PID, you can adjust the P setting for more smoke also. (as on the old Traeger).  :2cents:

Thanks for the tip. I just took a look at the RT590. Looks Good!

So many choices ...  :-\
  • #27 by SeattleSteve on 26 Nov 2020
  • There is no "right" or "wrong" answer on this ... but I finally decided to go with a RT590.  Bought it today (Thanksgiving) on their "Black Friday Sale" with a free Competition Cart ($299 value).

Thanks again for all the input, I really appreciate it and I hope others benefitted from this discussion as well.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Hope you are having some great smoked turkeys.

We have one going on our Traeger right now ... probably the last time we use it.
  • #28 by okie smokie on 26 Nov 2020
  • There is no "right" or "wrong" answer on this ... but I finally decided to go with a RT590.  Bought it today (Thanksgiving) on their "Black Friday Sale" with a free Competition Cart ($299 value).

Thanks again for all the input, I really appreciate it and I hope others benefitted from this discussion as well.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Hope you are having some great smoked turkeys.

We have one going on our Traeger right now ... probably the last time we use it.

Good choice, and the comp bottom makes it a real bargain. May 590 is 18 months old and had been very reliable. Used it about 2x a week or more. I would add GrillGrates as a must.  Well worth the money for high heat cooks with searing. Use the flat underside of GG's for steaks if you want more Mailard effect. I have measured temps of 575* off the GG's with control set at 500. Probably with FULL setting it would get much higher. Hope you enjoy it. 
     :clap:
  • #29 by SeattleSteve on 27 Nov 2020
  • Good choice, and the comp bottom makes it a real bargain. May 590 is 18 months old and had been very reliable. Used it about 2x a week or more. I would add GrillGrates as a must.  Well worth the money for high heat cooks with searing. Use the flat underside of GG's for steaks if you want more Mailard effect. I have measured temps of 575* off the GG's with control set at 500. Probably with FULL setting it would get much higher. Hope you enjoy it. 

Are these the Grill Grates you are talking about?

https://www.recteq.com/Sear-Kit-RT-700-RT-590

Just bought them.  Now I want the folding front shelf that is currently out of stock.
  • #30 by okie smokie on 27 Nov 2020
  • Good choice, and the comp bottom makes it a real bargain. May 590 is 18 months old and had been very reliable. Used it about 2x a week or more. I would add GrillGrates as a must.  Well worth the money for high heat cooks with searing. Use the flat underside of GG's for steaks if you want more Mailard effect. I have measured temps of 575* off the GG's with control set at 500. Probably with FULL setting it would get much higher. Hope you enjoy it. 

Are these the Grill Grates you are talking about?

https://www.recteq.com/Sear-Kit-RT-700-RT-590

Just bought them.  Now I want the folding front shelf that is currently out of stock.

Yes. (all one word for the brand name) Have used them on my 590 and before on the Blaz'n Grand Slam.  You get heat retention, and even temps across as well, and the drips mostly sizzle off. It really makes the 590 also great for searing steaks and chops, burgers etc. Did you also get the cover for it?  It is very nice fitting and high quality. If you did not, then order both the GG's and cover and you will qualify for free shipping (total over $99.).  Have a great smokin holiday!
Pages:
Actions