Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by SeattleSteve on 27 Nov 2020
  • Are these the Grill Grates you are talking about?
    Yes. (all one word for the brand name) Have used them on my 590 and before on the Blaz'n Grand Slam.  You get heat retention, and even temps across as well, and the drips mostly sizzle off. It really makes the 590 also great for searing steaks and chops, burgers etc. Did you also get the cover for it?  It is very nice fitting and high quality. If you did not, then order both the GG's and cover and you will qualify for free shipping (total over $99.).  Have a great smokin holiday!

Yes I bought the cover and pretty much ALL of the other accessories.  :)  Just wish I could get that folding front shelf.  I called and they don't know when they will be back in stock.
  • #32 by okie smokie on 28 Nov 2020
  • I have that also. At first glance it does not look sturdy, but when attached, it is very secure. When you tighten the bolts on the legs, do not crank them hard enough to bend the metal. Just snug them firmly, and the lock washers will hold nicely. Same when you apply the shelf. You can always tighten a little if nec.
    I just got notice that my 380 is shipped. Can't wait for it.  Let me know how yours arrived and set up.   :clap:
  • #33 by BigDave83 on 28 Nov 2020
  • Hope you give us a review and a good comparison of smoke profile between the Treager and the recTec. I know what my experience was with rectec gmg and pit boss. I have never owned a treager. Good luck to you, and keep us updated.
  • #34 by SeattleSteve on 28 Nov 2020
  • FYI we smoked a turkey on the old Traeger yesterday for about 5 hours and my wife said she could taste the smoke.  Her palate is much more sensitive than mine.  I have a very poor sense of smell and my taste buds are not very sensitive which is why I prefer very spicy foods.  But my wife is a real "foodie"  I think she will like the RT590 especially if we cook at a lower temp as Old Smokie suggested.  We cooked the turkey at 250 on the Traeger, which really means the temp swung between 240-260 during the 5 hour cooking process.  That's one of the main reasons I want to upgrade the smoker, to maintain even temp.  From reviews I've seen, the RT590 stays very consistent.  And cooking at a consistent 225 temp should add more smoke flavor.

Thanks again to everyone for your tips!
  • #35 by Bentley on 28 Nov 2020
  • 10° +-, I will take that any day of the week. My 2002 & 2004 Traeger 075's would swing 50°.
  • #36 by SeattleSteve on 12 Dec 2020
  • Got my RT590 set up and burned in at 400 degrees.  Once it locked onto 400 the temp never changed, just like others have said.  Very impressive.  My old Traeger could never hold a steady temp and swung pretty wildly +/- 15 degrees.

I'm doing a test at 225 degrees this afternoon and tonight my wife is going to follow the recteq recommendation for a first cook of chicken thighs to generate grease and "season" the smoker.

I have seen videos online of guys who have added high temp weather-stripping to their smoker lids to seal in more smoke.

Has anyone tried that on a RT590?  Would you recommend it?

• #37 by okie smokie on 12 Dec 2020
  • FYI we smoked a turkey on the old Traeger yesterday for about 5 hours and my wife said she could taste the smoke.  Her palate is much more sensitive than mine.  I have a very poor sense of smell and my taste buds are not very sensitive which is why I prefer very spicy foods.  But my wife is a real "foodie"  I think she will like the RT590 especially if we cook at a lower temp as Old Smokie suggested.  We cooked the turkey at 250 on the Traeger, which really means the temp swung between 240-260 during the 5 hour cooking process.  That's one of the main reasons I want to upgrade the smoker, to maintain even temp.  From reviews I've seen, the RT590 stays very consistent.  And cooking at a consistent 225 temp should add more smoke flavor.

I must say Steve that 10* plus and minus is very stable and better than the average Traeger does in cooking. The same happens on PID cookers, but you don't get to see it because the control does not react to "minor" shifts and averages it out.  Knowing the average is good, and makes us feel better about it. The PID controllers are more stable as a rule, as most non-PID controls like your Traeger have much wider swings than just 10*. My old Lil Tex moved up and down 30-40 degrees. If you know you machine you adjust your cook to it, and use the meat probe to make certain. I agree with Bentley, 10+- is very good. 
  • #38 by okie smokie on 12 Dec 2020
  • Got my RT590 set up and burned in at 400 degrees.  Once it locked onto 400 the temp never changed, just like others have said.  Very impressive.  My old Traeger could never hold a steady temp and swung pretty wildly +/- 15 degrees.

I'm doing a test at 225 degrees this afternoon and tonight my wife is going to follow the recteq recommendation for a first cook of chicken thighs to generate grease and "season" the smoker.

I have seen videos online of guys who have added high temp weather-stripping to their smoker lids to seal in more smoke.

My lid leaked, so I asked RT about it and they did not rec. using it. So I did not for about 8 months.  Got tired of the black staining around lid, so I went ahead with black hot temps adhesive insulation from Island Outdoor LLC. 1/2inch by 1/8" thick. It sealed that lid very well and has kept the 590 much cleaner looking. It has nothing to do with performance, as the leak was not significant to alter results. But it is easier to keep the ext. clean. Many pitmasters really don't appear to care about that. If you watch on RT's videos, they don't clean exterior of their pits that they demo on. I do notice that some of the expensive new pits come with the sealant of some sort already on them. Soot on the outside is a badge of honor for some, suggesting perhaps that a lot of good Q is being made with that pit. I tend to be more of a neat freak.   
  • #39 by SeattleSteve on 12 Dec 2020

My lid leaked, so I asked RT about it and they did not rec. using it. So I did not for about 8 months.  Got tired of the black staining around lid, so I went ahead with black hot temps adhesive insulation from Island Outdoor LLC. 1/2inch by 1/8" thick. It sealed that lid very well and has kept the 590 much cleaner looking. It has nothing to do with performance, as the leak was not significant to alter results. But it is easier to keep the ext. clean. Many pitmasters really don't appear to care about that. If you watch on RT's videos, they don't clean exterior of their pits that they demo on. I do notice that some of the expensive new pits come with the sealant of some sort already on them. Soot on the outside is a badge of honor for some, suggesting perhaps that a lot of good Q is being made with that pit. I tend to be more of a neat freak.

Thanks for the reply.  You are the one who convinced me to go with the RT590 and so far I'm vey happy with it.   8)
  • #40 by okie smokie on 12 Dec 2020
  • If you decide to use the sealant strips you really need to clean off the lid edge right down to the enamel. I used soapy throw away rags to work that stuff off. Then used some "goof off" which is a naphtha based solvent, that will remove the rest. While you attach the strip, do not stretch it, as it will lengthen and diminish in thickness. Seems flimsy, but after you get it on, it will stay very well. There other types of stuff but I am not familiar with them. Glad you like your 590.  :bbq:
  • #41 by MysticRhythms on 12 Dec 2020

I must say Steve that 10* plus and minus is very stable and better than the average Traeger does in cooking. The same happens on PID cookers, but you don't get to see it because the control does not react to "minor" shifts and averages it out.  Knowing the average is good, and makes us feel better about it. The PID controllers are more stable as a rule, as most non-PID controls like your Traeger have much wider swings than just 10*. My old Lil Tex moved up and down 30-40 degrees. If you know you machine you adjust your cook to it, and use the meat probe to make certain. I agree with Bentley, 10+- is very good.

+/- 10° is great for a kitchen stove let alone a smoker.

• #42 by SeattleSteve on 13 Dec 2020

• +/- 10° is great for a kitchen stove let alone a smoker.

So I guess my old Traeger wasn't that bad after all, but the RT590 stays pretty much on temp +/- 1 degree. 

Another problem I had with the Traeger is that in the last couple years I could not get it to go higher than about 385 degrees for some reason.

I used to get it up to 425 to cook Papa Murphy's Pizza but at the end of it's life, I could not even get it up to 400.

Anyway ... it is now in the garbage dump and the RT590 has taken it's place on my back deck.
  • #43 by pmillen on 14 Dec 2020
  • So I guess my old Traeger wasn't that bad after all, but the RT590 stays pretty much on temp +/- 1 degree. 

And you're certain that the ±1° is accurate?  Do you have an accurate device to check it—like a Maverick, Thermoworks, FireBoard or such?
  • #44 by BigDave83 on 14 Dec 2020
  • So I guess my old Traeger wasn't that bad after all, but the RT590 stays pretty much on temp +/- 1 degree. 

And you're certain that the ±1° is accurate?  Do you have an accurate device to check it—like a Maverick, Thermoworks, FireBoard or such?

Almost all of the RT owners will tell you this. Their cooker temp never varies more than 2° at most, but then they will turn around and tell you how they have to re-calibrate their meat probes every other time they use them.
  • #45 by okie smokie on 14 Dec 2020

Almost all of the RT owners will tell you this. Their cooker temp never varies more than 2° at most, but then they will turn around and tell you how they have to re-calibrate their meat probes every other time they use them.
    I calibrated the meat probes once. One was right on and the other 2+ degrees. So I have not worried about it since and am quite satisfied at the degree of doneness. I wonder if a Brisket that is finished to 203* is any different from one done to 205* or 201*I ? Or one that you thought was 203* that is really 198* and seems perfect? I think the "poke" test at the end is more important. 
Pages:
Actions