Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > recteq

Recteq 380 now with stainless barrel.

(1/4) > >>

okie smokie:
Just got a notice that RT is having a Thxgvg sale for a week. The 380 looks tempting to me in its new form with PID control and stainless barrel. Current price is $399 with no added accessories. Not sure what will be offered on the sale. Watched all the video reviews by various gurus. They all liked it with only scant negs.  May leak grease after long fatty cooks, this can be avoided by placing aluminum foil pan on the heat diffuser, to catch the majority of drippings.  The others will then be easily burnt off after (at high heat).  Also, I spoke with them and suggested a wide drip pan to hang from the bottom base(it holds the firepot) just to catch any late drips. I don't think it is a problem at all on short high heat cooks. 
Temps are 225* to 500* regular, and then can be turned up to a "Riot" mode setting that goes up to 749*!!!  I am happy with my 590 but my wife C/O not enough searing effect on steaks, chops. While I am happy overall, I must admit that I like a bit more mailard effect without risk of over cook.  Also, it is lightweight at around 60 lbs and would be easy to carry to picnic cooks and campouts. My main interest then would be for quick hot cooks and then do the low and slows on my 590. Also appealing is that it is quick to heat and easy to clean; making it more ideal for a quick cook and clean up. Same size as the Weber 22" charcoal pit. Only thing I don't care for is that they have switched from porcelain over cast iron to porcelain over steel wire grates. However, GrillGrates are available at extra cost. Either that or you can buy after market cast iron/porcelain by Aura for $65. (for Weber, but is same size.) 

Now check it out and tell me I don't really need it, BUT___maybe I've just been locked up to long?

okie smokie:
Went for it although they did not offer any special deals on the RT 380. Good deals on the 590--i.e. competition base and wheels at no cost. Also a good deal on the 700,  a free Matador Wok. etc.  380 is $399, and expected to go up to $499 after initial sales?? (has not happed since introduced new model in June '20.)
So 380 and cover ordered. Don't think I will need the GrillGrates for this one. May buy after market grates later if not satisfied with the standard grates. No delivery date yet. 

okie smokie:
Anyone have one of these new model 380?

okie smokie:
380 arrives today. Also, I purchased a replacement stainless grill grate for it (the current grate is 3/16 steel wire-ceramic coated).  The replacement is from Bid Daddy Smokers and is 1/4" stainless with two 1/3" cross braces. Its a personal thing. I really like the SS grates on the 590, so wanted to have the same on the 380.  Looks like RT did not want to jack the price up on 380 so they went with the cheaper grate. Will take pics of the unpack and assembly. 

okie smokie:
Here are the pics of arrival and setup. The grate covering the underside of the control and hopper section was suspected as happening before shipment in China, since the box (which was very substantial) was not damaged when I received it. Since it was underneath, it was not seen. I removed the under cover screen and called RT service and obtained immediate replacement request, now ordered. Meanwhile I was able to restore it adequately to re-install. Not perfect but will do until replaced. All else went as scheduled. Burn in at 400* without a hitch and also today, I tested RTD temps against my own temp probe and found that 380 ran hotter than it measured. About 50* hotter in the center when I set it for  225*, and 30* hotter in center when set for 500*. I called RT to see if I should adjust, but was advised not to do at present. The reason being that they feel that the overall average temp in the entire cooking area matches their RTD. I am dubious about that, but will cook a familiar item and see if the time to completion is as expected. At the high end I see no problem, but if the low end is correct, I will have to adjust the control to compensate.  Over all I am satisfied for the most part. I do believe that unlike their other pits, the non-stainless metal on this unit is marginally stout on the hopper structure and I passed that opinion along to the service folks as a friendly comment. More to follow on that one. Here are the pics, note my sheet metal restoration was not perfect, but adequate:

After a little adjustment, decided to stop here.

After burn in at 400* The aftermarket SS grill grates fit perfectly!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View