Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 28 Nov 2020
  • My wife was shopping at Sam's Club this morning and they were selling fresh turkeys for .48/lb., they had a use/freeze by date of 12/4. I had her pickup two for processing and freezer.  I intend to dissect and cook then freeze rather than freeze then cook, I'm looking for unique ideas to process/cook the dissected pieces. I've read that dry brine, season, sous vide, cool and smoke produces outstanding turkey, anyone ever tried this?
  • #2 by Bentley on 28 Nov 2020
  • It just struck me reading this that the Moo Gloo would be great for a setting like this.  Not so much for anything but the breast, but I would be able to bone the breast, meat glue them, vac seal, sous vide and then slice them.  Kristin does not appreciate processed turkey like I do.  She prefers the "real" stuff.  This would be just that and even if you base the price lest say on a 22lb. bird.  At .49¢/lb, you end up with $11 for 4-5/lbs? of breast meat.  Long time sice I priced "real" deli Turkey, but I bet it is at least $7-$8/lb!

Sorry, jut typing out load!
  • #3 by hughver on 02 Dec 2020
  • Lacking an alternate suggestion, I roughly followed  the process shown here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB2WRiNkBx8 . The birds were 17 and 24 lbs., I quartered them as shown in the video, seasoned and sous vide for 24 hr. with the dark meat at 150° and the light meat at 131°. We ate one of the refrigerated dark meat quarters night before last after smoking it at 325°. Flavor, moisture and texture were excellent and the skin was crisp, but the surface started to burn before the IT was hot enough (120°) for our liking . Tonight we are going to try one of the breast, this time I'll sacrifice the crisp skin (we don't eat it anyway) and smoke it at 225°, pull at an IT of 140° and see if that works out better.  The other six quarters will be frozen. :-\

Pages:
Actions