Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 02ebz06 on 28 Nov 2020
  • Th1s cover is made by Back Yard Life.
    The make these for CampChef and Blackstone griddles, and have some other related accessories as well.

This one is for the CampChef FTG-600, that I have.
    Besides a cover, web site says it is a splatter shield as well.
    Just got it, so I have no experience with it's effectiveness as a splatter shield.

It is approximately 1/4" wider than the griddle front to back, and 3/4-1" wider left to right, so goes on easily.
    Just a single handle on the front, which I guess is OK if you are just lifting it and pushing it back to catch on the brackets (pic #2).
    Edges are sharp, so my preference would be two handles on top for ease/safety in removing/installing it.
    I will probably put two on top where the catch bracket screws are so I can make use of those screws and only have to drill two holes.
    Also thought about getting some of those car door protectors from a Car Parts store to put around the edge except near the griddle.

My first impression of it as a splatter shield, is that it "might" not be very effective.
    With it hanging off the back (pic #2) there is an inch or more gap between the underside of the lid, and back of griddle.
    Grease could hit it, run down, and drip on ground.
    However, the grease may cool enough and not run very far, so don't really know how well it would work.
    Definitely wouldn't protect splatter on the sides or front.

Unsure what the marks (pic #1) on the two back corners are. Was too cold yesterday to care.  ;D
    Will have to look at them another day.

PROS
    1) Fits well
    2) If you have a cloth/canvas/plastic or whatever kind of cover to go over entire griddle,
        it prevents that cover from sagging onto the griddle surface and getting grease on underside.
    3) Easy storage when griddle is used, just lift up and push to back to latch in place.

CONS
    1)  Not very useful as a splatter shield since it doesn't protect sides.
         Side protection is necessary when doing a lot of bacon, or anytime using whole griddle surface.
    2)  Price - May seem pricey to some, but if you have ever had any Stainless Steel work done, this is not out of line.
    3)  Sharp edges.
    4)  Only one handle.
  • #2 by WiPelletHead on 28 Nov 2020
  • It looks nice and should work well. The idea of adding handles makes sense. Are far as the sharp edges go that be be remedied with a file. The stainless steel is soft enough it shouldn't take long. A few years ago I bought a jalapeno popper rack that had sharp edges. My fingers were bleeding when I washed it the first time so I could use it. The file took care it.
    Just my  :2cents:
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 28 Nov 2020
  • It looks nice and should work well. The idea of adding handles makes sense. Are far as the sharp edges go that be be remedied with a file. The stainless steel is soft enough it shouldn't take long. A few years ago I bought a jalapeno popper rack that had sharp edges. My fingers were bleeding when I washed it the first time so I could use it. The file took care it.

Thought of that, but though might leave a rough edge, then thought a few different grits of sandpaper might do the trick.
  • #4 by WiPelletHead on 28 Nov 2020

Thought of that, but though might leave a rough edge, then thought a few different grits of sandpaper might do the trick.

When you mentioned sandpaper I bet a sharpening stone would work well.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 28 Nov 2020

• When you mentioned sandpaper I bet a sharpening stone would work well.

I have one of those as well.
    Guess I have a few options to try.

Never been to Mondovi.
    Born in Milwaukee, grew up in Oak Creek (south of Milwaukee), and went to college in Platteville (southwest corner of state).
    I don't miss the cold and snow...
  • #6 by Osborn Cox on 30 Nov 2020
  • I have a very similar one for my Blackstone made by Outdoor Kitchen Equipment on Etsy.    Have had it for about 2 years now, really quite happy with it, and I love that it doubles as table for when I’m using the grill instead.   I also bought his wind protectors that close the gap between the burner and the bottom of the griddle surface, really helped even out the temperatures on the edges.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages:
Actions